Menu

ALEKS math program -- is it worth it??

kailuamom

My dc have the opportunity to use the ALEKS math program this year at a discount (through a class). If you are familiar with the program, or have used it, can you tell me what you think of it? We are in the middle of the three hour free trial, but I am not sure if that amount of time will be sufficient in deciding whether or not to use it for the whole year.

If you have used it, did your dc like it? Does it provide enough to be a complete program? Or is it more useful as a supplement? I am looking at it for my 8th, 5th & 2nd/3rd graders.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!

I started using ALEKS a couple weeks ago. At first my children loved it, but now they do see it as work and often would rather not do it. This isn't a problem for me, since it is, in fact, a serious math program, and yes, that involves work. My older three are entirely self-sufficient with it, able to use the "Explain" button and then do the problems themselves. My just turned 8 year old daughter will still require teaching just because she is little and unwilling to carefully red through the explanation and work the problem along with it. I am perfectly comfortable teaching at her level without a text book, but could probably print and work through the explain with her if I weren't. I love that they get instant feedback, review, and regular reassessment. I could create quizzes or request reassessment anytime I want. I can also see exactly what they have done and how much time they have spent each day in ALEKS and I can change their course as many times as I want to within the subscription period. This frees up some of my time, always a good thing with 4 children to teach. (And, I really hate grading, so it's one less subject to grade.)

I will have my older two work with their Art of Problem Solving textbook for more in depth work on concepts along with ALEKS, but I always use two math programs. However, I found that their skills weren't keeping up with their conceptual understanding when they just used Art of Problem Solving over time since they were not getting continuous practice. I regret letting them talk me into not making them continue NEM along with it the second half of last year. Nonetheless, they are reviewing with ALEKS and then I will increment them to this years course around the official start of our school year since they are on track to finish their review course by then. With ALEKS, I am certain they will be able to complete problems in a reasonable amount of time and happy to let them just enjoy thinking about math with Art of Problem Solving. Actually, the youngers will be using just ALEKS instead of two, because I am comfortable with the drill they will get through QuickTables and won't supplement for drill.

So... yes, I think ALEKS is complete on it's own, but mathy kids might enjoy "Thinking Math" along with it. But children may not love it all the time, since it is a serious math program, not edutainment.

Elizabeth

I started using ALEKS a couple weeks ago. At first my children loved it, but now they do see it as work and often would rather not do it. This isn't a problem for me, since it is, in fact, a serious math program, and yes, that involves work. My older three are entirely self-sufficient with it, able to use the "Explain" button and then do the problems themselves. My just turned 8 year old daughter will still require teaching just because she is little and unwilling to carefully red through the explanation and work the problem along with it. I am perfectly comfortable teaching at her level without a text book, but could probably print and work through the explain with her if I weren't. I love that they get instant feedback, review, and regular reassessment. I could create quizzes or request reassessment anytime I want. I can also see exactly what they have done and how much time they have spent each day in ALEKS and I can change their course as many times as I want to within the subscription period. This frees up some of my time, always a good thing with 4 children to teach. (And, I really hate grading, so it's one less subject to grade.)

I will have my older two work with their Art of Problem Solving textbook for more in depth work on concepts along with ALEKS, but I always use two math programs. However, I found that their skills weren't keeping up with their conceptual understanding when they just used Art of Problem Solving over time since they were not getting continuous practice. I regret letting them talk me into not making them continue NEM along with it the second half of last year. Nonetheless, they are reviewing with ALEKS and then I will increment them to this years course around the official start of our school year since they are on track to finish their review course by then. With ALEKS, I am certain they will be able to complete problems in a reasonable amount of time and happy to let them just enjoy thinking about math with Art of Problem Solving. Actually, the youngers will be using just ALEKS instead of two, because I am comfortable with the drill they will get through QuickTables and won't supplement for drill.

So... yes, I think ALEKS is complete on it's own, but mathy kids might enjoy "Thinking Math" along with it. But children may not love it all the time, since it is a serious math program, not edutainment.

Elizabeth

Thanks so much for your insight! I really appreciate it!