Menu

help critique my 2nd grade schedule / plan?

Okay, this might seem "rigid," but I promise, it's not. Last year we did a "loosely based schedule," and it worked pretty good for us - I would like to take one baby step forward on the "scheduling" end of things this year, for the girls. So, what am I missing? Will this work? (I know it's not exactly WTM-style; I'm meshing WTM with my own personality & situation.)

I have twins in 2nd, a K-5-er who tags along nicely, and an ankle-biter 8 months old

9:00 -10:00 math: Singapore 2A & 2B

10:00 - 11:00 history: Story of the World 1 (we're about half-way through; I'd like to finish and get through about half of SOTW 2, if possible)

11:00 - 11:30 grammar (& poetry memorization) & writing (alternating cursive & manuscript Reason for Writing, letter writing, history narrations, and writing from dictation)

11:30 - 12:30 BREAK

12:30 LUNCH

1:30 - 3:00 Quiet Time - reading (also my break time) - history books, pleasure reading, some writing (if they don't finish in the morning)

3:00 - 3:30 elective (Spanish, science, music, on a rotation) - we are doing La Clase Divertida, and a customized mixture for science and music)

Will this work? Any ideas to add / subtract? I am not sure about Bible - they do AWANA, and we learn verses together; I'm hesitant to add anything else in as I don't want it to be a "class."

(Fridays are our home school co-op, so this will only be 4x/week.)

Okay, this might seem "rigid," but I promise, it's not. Last year we did a "loosely based schedule," and it worked pretty good for us - I would like to take one baby step forward on the "scheduling" end of things this year, for the girls. So, what am I missing? Will this work? (I know it's not exactly WTM-style; I'm meshing WTM with my own personality & situation.)

I have twins in 2nd, a K-5-er who tags along nicely, and an ankle-biter 8 months old

9:00 -10:00 math: Singapore 2A & 2B

10:00 - 11:00 history: Story of the World 1 (we're about half-way through; I'd like to finish and get through about half of SOTW 2, if possible)

11:00 - 11:30 grammar (& poetry memorization) & writing (alternating cursive & manuscript Reason for Writing, letter writing, history narrations, and writing from dictation)

11:30 - 12:30 BREAK

12:30 LUNCH

1:30 - 3:00 Quiet Time - reading (also my break time) - history books, pleasure reading, some writing (if they don't finish in the morning)

3:00 - 3:30 elective (Spanish, science, music, on a rotation) - we are doing La Clase Divertida, and a customized mixture for science and music)

Will this work? Any ideas to add / subtract? I am not sure about Bible - they do AWANA, and we learn verses together; I'm hesitant to add anything else in as I don't want it to be a "class."

(Fridays are our home school co-op, so this will only be 4x/week.)

That doesn't sound rigid to me at all. I, personal, would add spelling into your morning routine. 2.5 is plenty of time to get all that done. I think you'll find math and SOTW won't take a full hour. Also, I wouldn't be set on the times. I would suggest setting school hours from 9-11:30 and plan on doing those subjects in which ever order you or the kids feel like. You might also find out that 3pm time period gets swept away. I would move it to after lunch and then have quiet time.

Thank you, both of you! I really appreciate the feedback!

I have been thinking about spelling - will maybe give it a try. Budget is tight this year (hubby is laid off :( ), so maybe I'll search around here for some fun free ones.

Here is a free one that you can print off at Zaner Bloser Spelling Connections.

http://www.zaner-bloser.com/spellingconnections/practice-pages.html

Your schedule sounds similar to ours. We started this week, and it's looking like we'll do school from 9:00am - 11 or 11:30am. This includes Bible, math, LA, and history (MWF) or science (TTh).

We'll take a break and have lunch then at 12ish. Then after lunch we'll do our Latin or finish up history or science if we didn't get it done in the morning and do our read-aloud (this while 20mo dd naps). Then either some quiet time or some art or something.

It's a pretty loose schedule. :D I have a 7yo ds (2nd grader) and a 4.5yo ds who is itching to do K. It's been a little wild so far, especially trying to keep the 4.5yo busy and keep the littlest one out of trouble (ie...grabbing pencils and putting them in her ear, nose, etc).

I have a 2nd grader too and we are doing a similar schedule

M-TR

Saxon Math

R & S Grammar

VP Bible

SOTW T/TR

Apologia Science T/TR

WWE

Spelling Workout C

State Study: this is a weekly fun thing

Composer/Artist Study: once a month we focus on an artist or composer, again fun thing.

Assigned chapter books for lit study.

We do school throughout the day except for Friday. I try to mix fun things in and do lots of breaks and learning games