Menu

Is there a Human Geography and Cultures curriculum for High School

that incorporates real books at the upper high school level?? I am intrigued now...looking forward to this course after looking it up and discussing with my son. He is very interested as well!!!! I wiuld love some REAL books to go with a GOOD text.

Jump In...I only have 5 days to put together and submit my instruction plans to our school district for 10/11...YiKES!!!!

Faithe

Here's the suggested reading list for AP Human Geography that I compiled. My son won't read all of these, but will read some.

Achebe, Chinua. Things Fall Apart. New York: Anchor Books. 1994.

Bryson, Bill. A Walk in the Woods. New York: Broadway, 1999.

Diamond, Jared. Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. New York: W. W. Norton, 1999.

Kurlansky, Mark. Salt: A World History. New York: Penguin Books, 2002.

Lapierre, Dominique. City of Joy. N.p. Culver City, 2004.

Friedman, Thomas L. The Lexus and the Olive Tree: Understanding Globalization. Rev. ed. New York:

Farrar, Straus, Giroux, 2000.

Friedman, Thomas L. The World is Flat(Updated and Expanded): A Brief History of the Twenty First

Century. Rev. ed. New York: Farrar, Straus, Giroux, 2006.

Friedman, Thomas L. Longitudes and Attitudes: The World in the Age of Terrorism. New York: Anchor

Books, 2003.

Marshall, James Vance. Walkabout. N.p. Sundance, 1984.

Sobel, Dava. Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of

His Time. New York: Walker, 1995.

Steinbeck, John. Travels With Charley: In Search of America. New York: Penguin Books, 1980.

Stigletz, Joseph E. Globalization and Its Discontents. New York: W.W. Norton and Company, 2002.

I believe BJU has a cultural geography course. Sorry I can't link it, the BJU website was under maintainence. Also, saw someone on the sale & swap board sellling the book. Perhaps it incorporates real books?http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202648&highlight=cultural

HThs.

I ended up putting my own course together ... not complete yet, but here is what I am doing:

For a spine:

World Geography Today (holt), Understanding World Religions (Braswell), Old Testament History (Greenleaf press)

Videos:

Longitude(book by Sobel) ... we just finished this and it was really good.

Guns, Germs and Steel by Diamond with Guide from the PBS website

Drive through History

Books:

Genevive Foster: Augustus Caesar’s World 44 BC- 14 AD and The World of Columbus

Iliad and various books on Greek and Roman Mythology and warfare

National Geographic Articles

Edited by Cheri in MN

I put my own course together also. It's an AP course that was accepted by the college board as such. The list I gave above was just a small part of the syllabus that listed real books. We're using several textbooks and videos also.

Textbooks:

Human Geography in Action

Human Geography: People, Place and Culture

The Cultural Landscape: An Introduction to Human Geography

Also several videos from the Power of Place series along with a few others.