Menu

tips for ACT science section?

Hi,

Anyone have any tips for getting through all the reading and graphs for the science section in order to finish on time? My son (rising senior) keeps running out of time (on practice tests) before finishing all the questions, and he is a very good reader, just says he thinks he reads too slowly.

I suggested skimming quickly, then go straight to the questions and only read for the info necessary to find the answers. He will be taking the ACT for the second time this September (he took it last year in Sept.)...is there time to take a speed reading course before then? :001_smile:

We would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions!

Thanks,

Kirsten

My son had the same problem with the math section of the ACT. He took it in Feb 2009 and will take it again in Oct.

When we practiced, we timed everything, and he scored very high in all sections. But when it came time for the actual ACT he said he was so nervous he kept dropping his pencil, and his math score was much lower than we expected. He said he finished all the questions but felt rushed.

Just keep practicing the timed tests with several years' worth of ACT prep books, and it will get easier!

Great suggestions! Thanks so much!

Southcarolinamom...sorry your son got nervous, that must have been very frustrating for him! :crying:

jennifermarie...your suggestion is actually one he and I talked about and wondered if it would be a useful approach. :)

Brenda...thanks so much for the utube link. I watched the first video and it looks like it will be a great help! My son is at work right now, but I will have him watch all of them this weekend and see if that improves his score on his next practice test. I am excited that someone would go to the trouble to make those videos to help kids on the test. I guess you never know what you will find on utube!! :D

This board is AWESOME!!!!!!

Kirsten

I suggest that he read the questions first, see if there are any you can answer from just the graphs, then find the other answers in the paragraphs.

Another vote for this strategy. Actually, this how I approached anything to do with reading on both the SAT and the ACT.

Another thing about ACT Science. Keep in mind that it isn't at all about what you know -- it's really all about interpreting what's being presented. So there's no need to panic if the question is about something you've never studied or even heard of before.