Menu

For thoase that do have a writing curriculum for grammar stage

golfcartmama

What are you using and loving?? I bought Writing Strands since I had so many people IRL recommend it to me and I will give it another week or two, but right now my ds and I BOTH don't like it.

BG: We don't know how long we'll be able to hs ($$ wise), hopefully at least until middle school, BUT if he had to go back next year, he needs to be up and our schools focus a lot on writing...informative, persuasive, etc. styles. The compositions don't have to be long or involved though.

Any ideas on what you like?? He's in 2nd grade right now.

** Title should read those!**

Edited by golfcartmama
misspelling!

we didn't like WS or WWE but we are loving writeshop primary :) I am using it with my 9yo DSD who is now saying that she loves writing :D - Personally though I loved WWE too just DSD did not so we switched :) i will be starting writeshop with my 7th grader soon too when the books arrive. The 12yo HATED writing strands so I am hopeful that writeshop will be a great fit for us.

I am in EXACTLY the same position as you! Although I may like to delay writing and just do WWE I don't think I can afford to as if ds were to go back to school he would have to beable to do a lot more as you say (he is going into gd 2). We will be using PR2 but I don't think that will cover all the areas of writing that he would do if he were at school and so I am considering IEW which would be an expensive investment if I only use it for a couple of yrs but I don't think I can afford to take a risk in this area.

Stephanie

We didn't like Writing Strands either. When dd was in 8/9th we did WriteShop 1 and 2. It gave her a good basic foundation. I loved how the rubrics gave me something to grade. For 10th and now 11th we switched to BJU English which has different writing assignments throughout. Much more intense but she's learned a lot and told me that she actually likes writing now! :svengo: This has always been a "hated" subject.

:bigear:

I am in the same situation! This is our first year of homeschooling and my ds is in fourth grade. He hates writing and has never had any form of dictation or narration in PS. For now we are doing WWE and once a week I will have him choose a story from Story Starters to finish. I am on the fence with WWE, I like it for my first grader who only went to K for PS. Writeshop Primary sounds like something we may like!

I am in EXACTLY the same position as you! Although I may like to delay writing and just do WWE I don't think I can afford to as if ds were to go back to school he would have to beable to do a lot more as you say (he is going into gd 2). We will be using PR2 but I don't think that will cover all the areas of writing that he would do if he were at school and so I am considering IEW which would be an expensive investment if I only use it for a couple of yrs but I don't think I can afford to take a risk in this area.

Stephanie

PR 2 will cover outlining, taking notes (character sketches), dictation, copy work, hearty sentences. A ton of writing! If you continue into 3, WOWZA it moves along. If you apply what you learn in PR2 in science and history, you will certainly not need a thing for more writing.