Menu

School hasn't started but son changing major!

Yolanda in Mass

For years my husband and I have believed that our son's brain is wired for some kind of research career. Family members have also commented on his bent for that type of field since he's always researching stuff and retaining incredible amounts of information. But for years our son has wanted to do many things none of which include lots of school beyond 4 years or anything we thought he was suited for (i.e., being an entrepreneur or going into the Marines). So imagine our surprise when he announced last week that he had been seriously thinking about either doing pre-med or going into some type of medical research field.:001_huh:

He's a transfer student going in as a 2nd semester sophomore so has time and also has a cousin who just got her PhD in biology and is a research scientist. She kept telling us that his mind was wired for research and couldn't understand why he wasn't going into that type of field. Why do kids insist on resisting what seems to be clear as the nose on your face? Is it to be completely independent? :confused:

Yolanda

Why do kids insist on resisting what seems to be clear as the nose on your face? Is it to be completely independent?

Perhaps. Or maybe it's just taken him this much time to realize that this is a path he would like to follow. I think it would be much more challenging for a young person to decide what to do when he or she does not have an end goal in mind.

Best wishes to you and your son.

Regards,

Kareni

My oldest did the same thing. He was an excellent math/science student, but said he didn't enjoy it. He was intrigued with philosophy and history. So he enrolled in a private LAC, had a great scholarship there, and in February decided he wanted to be a petroleum engineering major!:svengo: Where did *that* come from?!? But we scrambled, found a university that offered that degree, called and spoke directly to the department powers that be, and by golly he ended up with a great scholarship there as well - even though the scholarship application deadline had passed! He has excelled in that field and is considering getting a combination MBA/Petroleum Engineering degree now.

Maybe they are just too young to know what they really want to do when they have to start making those decisions.