Menu

??? Tell me about Institute for Excellence in Writing

Denise Allen

My daughter is 8th grade (son 7th). I am thinking of IEW. Wondering if it would work well for my daughter. She is already a very good intuitive writer. It comes naturally. I am interested in the more formal aspects of the program (outlines, research papers, etc.)

Do you like the program?

Do you think we should start with level B or C?

Thanks so much in advance. Such a big purchase, just want to choose wisely.

We just started this summer with IEW. I had the same fears as you have. My rising 9th grader flew through the exercises (I used level B - below her level). IEW has helped her to think more about her writing. My reluctant rising 6th grader, actually did his assignment!! Loves Andrew, thinks he is funny, and wants to do his writing.

I don't think I will use IEW for long, my oldest will do TOG writing ala IEW this year and LTW next year. For now, it has shown me that dd can write and where she needs to improve. Ds is writing!!

HTH

Hi Denise,

welcome to the hive. I don't know why your ? hasn't gotten a ton of responses. Have you searched back for IEW reviews?

I can tell you for my non-writer boy, IEW was excellent. It was sorely needed around 45th/5th grade for us. It has given my guy a great start to his writing.

We didn't get past IEW SWI A though, as he went on to different curricula that mandated different writing (like TOG).

I would say if your daughter is already a good writer, you might want something that will stretch her more.

I would also consider asking on the high school board.

IEW kindof starts with outlining skills and moves from there to making paragraphs, then papers. It is formulaic which some kids need and others find boring.

We are using CW with my girls for a while and though it looks good, I can also see that becoming boring (lots of imitation).

What about a bravewriter course? They have always looked interesting. And there's of course the master SWB's stuff.

I have always wondered how IEW's essay stuff is but again, it's IEW. Decide first if you like the methodology of the way they teach writing and see if it meshes.

It is expensive, the TWSS would be helpful for you as mom even if you don't end up using it. It's a great help to writing instructors of any sort I think. Maybe get that first and see what you think of the program at large. The resale is excellent and should go the day you post it if you just want to check it out...

Or of course, you could research writing curricula for days, just like the rest of us, lol. Not to be snarky, just offering help since you haven't gotten a ton of responses.

HTH

ps to answer this

IEW tends to make the children's writing sound the same or phony.

My comment is this...it got my son writing words on a paper in a format that was acceptable and allowed me to learn to teach the skill of writing to him as a new homeschool mom. This was worth it's weight in gold!

I didn't have other children to compare who his writing sounded like at that point so it was a moot criticism.

Think of this, if a college counselor is going to say IEW students responses sound canned, they're not from around here. There aren't enough homeschoolers here to actually use IEW and submit a paper to that specific college, that specific counselor. Also, compared to the local high school kids here as a whole, a canned response will grade more highly than alot of what comes out of there anyway...kwim?

Edited by momee

Hi Denise,

welcome to the hive. I don't know why your ? hasn't gotten a ton of responses. Have you searched back for IEW reviews?

I can tell you for my non-writer boy, IEW was excellent. It was sorely needed around 45th/5th grade for us. It has given my guy a great start to his writing.

We didn't get past IEW SWI A though, as he went on to different curricula that mandated different writing (like TOG).

I would say if your daughter is already a good writer, you might want something that will stretch her more.

I would also consider asking on the high school board.

IEW kindof starts with outlining skills and moves from there to making paragraphs, then papers. It is formulaic which some kids need and others find boring.

We are using CW with my girls for a while and though it looks good, I can also see that becoming boring (lots of imitation).

What about a bravewriter course? They have always looked interesting. And there's of course the master SWB's stuff.

I have always wondered how IEW's essay stuff is but again, it's IEW. Decide first if you like the methodology of the way they teach writing and see if it meshes.

It is expensive, the TWSS would be helpful for you as mom even if you don't end up using it. It's a great help to writing instructors of any sort I think. Maybe get that first and see what you think of the program at large. The resale is excellent and should go the day you post it if you just want to check it out...

Or of course, you could research writing curricula for days, just like the rest of us, lol. Not to be snarky, just offering help since you haven't gotten a ton of responses.

HTH

ps to answer this

IEW tends to make the children's writing sound the same or phony.

My comment is this...it got my son writing words on a paper in a format that was acceptable and allowed me to learn to teach the skill of writing to him as a new homeschool mom. This was worth it's weight in gold!

I didn't have other children to compare who his writing sounded like at that point so it was a moot criticism.

Think of this, if a college counselor is going to say IEW students responses sound canned, they're not from around here. There aren't enough homeschoolers here to actually use IEW and submit a paper to that specific college, that specific counselor. Also, compared to the local high school kids here as a whole, a canned response will grade more highly than alot of what comes out of there anyway...kwim?

Thank you for your reply. I have read the older threads on here. I have been researching a writing program for the past few months. Non stop. In fact, my husband hasn't seen my face~ it has been buried in the computer! lol

I think maybe people aren't responding because they are sick of all the writing questions! :)

I really have narrowed it down to IEW, Classical Writing, and Lost Tools of Writing. I just wish I could see them all in person. From all the review/comments I have read, there are things to love/hate about each one.

I actually have posted on the older board as well as this one. I think I may just have to bite the bullet and purchase based on what I think will be best. They are all SO expensive!!!