Menu

Easy way for kids to access crafts? Storage?

DD6 loves to do crafts. She can pull out a thing of crafts and be busy for a while. That being said, I have all the crafts stored in our homeschool cabinet. It's not really easy access for her. I'd love to make it easy access for her to be able to get the crafts and use them.....yet still have them organized. Is there some sort of case, or organizer, or something that you use? I'd like to use it for things like pipe cleaners, magnet strips, buttons, feathers, glue, tape, jewels, googly eyes, noodles, popscicle sticks, etc.

I have a ten drawer cart from JoAnn. From the bottom up - construction paper; white paper; coloring books; markers and crayons; stamps and stamp pads; pencils and rulers; scissors and hole punches; wikki sticks and activity cards; tape and glue sticks; stickers and other small items. I use small cardboard or plastic containers within some of the drawers to contain like items. A plastic shoebox on top of the cabinet holds play-doh and play-doh accessories. The cart is located in our dining area. The children do not need permission to use materials stored in this cart.

I store items such as paint, bottled glue, special papers, extra supplies, and Mommy's craft supplies on the top shelves a bookcases located in our spare bedroom. Most are in labeled plastic shoe boxes. These items are only to be used with permission and supervision.

Maybe something like a tackle box would work? Or one of those scrapbooking tote things (if you felt like spending money).

Something like a desk apprentice could work too.

Here are some cute tote bags:

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Inkssentials-Craft-Bucket/4615394/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

Oooh! Giraffe print:

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Mackinac-Moon-Giraffe-Animal-Print-Open-top-Tote/4772000/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

I really like this craft cart from target. What's nice about it is that the drawers have hinged lids (no losing lids), so they are their own carrying cases. My daughter can pull out a drawer full of crayons and markets, take them where ever she wants, without the worry of spilling them.

The price is very decent, IMO especially for the amount of use we have gotten out of it.