Menu

LL8 for 9th grader?

I want to use LL8 for both students(8th and 9th graders) but I just read on their site that they don't accept it for use with their 9th grade students. I wanted to use it so I could use the same program for both boys and because we have not done any formal lit program so far. Our writing program was Jump In and my oldest son and myself need a lit program that is described as many of you have LL. But, I don't want to use something that will only put us behind.

suggestions?

I used LL7/8 last year with my 8th grader. You know, when I was a kid, 9th was still junior hi. I wouldn't personally have a problem using LL8 for the literature part of 9th. If you are worried, you could add an extra book study for the older student. You can get individual book studies from places like Smarr, Progeny Press, or free online from Glencoe Literature.

I do think both kids will need more writing, vocab, and possibly grammer to round out their English credit. Or you could just go in more depth on the LL vocab etc.

Julie

I don't have a problem using LL8 for both boys myself...I think it would fine for us. My concern is would it be a problem down the road as far as on paper as to what we used each year. I don't want to create a problem we may have to correct in upper grades or play catch up.

FWIW, none of us are great on lit and so I truly feel after reading various posts/comments that LL8 would be best for us.

Anyone with 9th graders who used LL...chime in?

I agree adding an extra book is a possibility but I would rather have it all laid out for me rather than me having to "add to."

I don't think using LL8 would cause a problem "on paper". You could easily call it: 9th grade- Intro to Literature then follow with 10th- American Lit

11th- British Lit, etc.

Or I know some people who label 9th grade Lit, vocab, writing,etc. as English I, 10th Grade as English II,

I hope someone with more experience will chime in with their opinion.

Grace

My dd used both LL 7 and 8 for her 9th grade, but I do think just 8th alone would be fine. There is so much more to English than just lit. You could add in some grammar, a separate vocab book, analogies, etc. It worked well for us and was not childish at all (my dd would have informed me if it were too young; she's pretty good about that). ;) She enjoyed the student pages and wishes they were in the older guides. She actually doesn't want to do the high school guides because she liked having the pages cement her knowledge of the lesson.

So, all in all, I am glad we did LL for 9th grade. :)

We are going to try Analytical Grammar this year(used Easy Grammar in the past) and Vocabulary from Classical Roots. I think that that would give me enough for English/Literature, don't you think? Guess I will make an order for LL8 this morning.

Thanks, ladies for the advice.

We are going to try Analytical Grammar this year(used Easy Grammar in the past) and Vocabulary from Classical Roots. I think that that would give me enough for English/Literature, don't you think? Guess I will make an order for LL8 this morning.

Thanks, ladies for the advice.

That is almost exactly what I am planning. I plan to add writing using a combination of Jensens Format Writing and IEW Elegant Essay or Analytical Grammar Essay program.

I want to use LL8 for both students(8th and 9th graders)

I wanted to use it so I could use the same program for both boys and because we have not done any formal lit program so far.

I'll have 8th and 9th graders this fall, too. It will be so much easier to teach them lit together! And my 9th grader's skill level is not to where I am wholly comfortable putting him in one of the high school levels of LL.

I am still debating, though, on LL8 vs. designing my own lit program using TWEM.

But I think it's perfectly acceptable to use LL8 for 9th grade, and add in appropriate grammar, vocab, and writing instruction, and call it English 1 or whatever on the transcript.

We used LL8 last year when my daughter was grade 9. We began with a different level (British Lit.) not knowing it was way over our heads. I backed up to 8 to work on the essay writing that it teaches. She didn't get through all of the books, but many of them. Her writing has improved. She did well with the student pages and having assignments laid out.

For grammar we used Easy Grammer, some Critical Thinking Press editing pieces. So I have her transcript labeled at English 1.