Menu

Anyone combine TOG year 4 and SL 300

I have already purchased the SL core ,but am concerned about all the discussion about that lack of analysis. TOG seems to tie it together better and help make connections. The main reason I want to add TOG is for the teacher notes and questions. I can afford the DE but cannot afford $35 a piece for all of the America in the 1900's books. My library cannot get them either. Can I use a different text (spine) to answer the R level questions? I called a rep and she said that I could use Western Civilizations. However a post on that topic stated that WC was used alot in yr2 but not at all in yr4. I don't want to invest all that money only to find we can't afford the neccessary components to make it work.

This will be for my ds in 11th to tidy up the lose ends of Omnibus 3.I will probably not use it for the other two (one is using MFW and the other is dyslexic). I already have the 2 resource books for SL and BJU US History. Is there any way one of these would work? Has anyone tried to do these two programs and lined up a reading schedule? Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks

I have already purchased the SL core ,but am concerned about all the discussion about that lack of analysis. TOG seems to tie it together better and help make connections. The main reason I want to add TOG is for the teacher notes and questions. I can afford the DE but cannot afford $35 a piece for all of the America in the 1900's books. My library cannot get them either. Can I use a different text (spine) to answer the R level questions? I called a rep and she said that I could use Western Civilizations. However a post on that topic stated that WC was used alot in yr2 but not at all in yr4. I don't want to invest all that money only to find we can't afford the neccessary components to make it work.

This will be for my ds in 11th to tidy up the lose ends of Omnibus 3.I will probably not use it for the other two (one is using MFW and the other is dyslexic). I already have the 2 resource books for SL and BJU US History. Is there any way one of these would work? Has anyone tried to do these two programs and lined up a reading schedule? Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks

My thoughts as one who has not used TOG, but who has researched it fairly extensively... I would say that it is a very full and complete program--I personally would not want to combine it with anything else. I seriously considered Year 4 for my students this year, but for various reasons chose to go with Core 300 instead.

With regards to SL, because my dc have used some of the upper-level cores already (combined with other material as well)-- including Core 530 British Literature last year-- I feel confident that they are well-versed in literary analysis. I will simply add some questions/essays from Sparknotes to round out the Core and leave it at that.

If you feel that your student needs further instruction in literary analysis, I would suggest either adding a resource such as Teaching the Classics or The Well-Educated Mind to SL 300, or returning Core 300 to SL and going totally with TOG. If you did that, then perhaps it would be easier to afford the necessary resources?

If, however, your dc has a solid foundation in analysis, an easy-peasy solution for you would be just to add Sparknotes to the Core and enjoy your year.

Just MHO. Hope this helps just a little.:)

Western Civilization is used as an alternate source for 26 weeks in Y4 according to the current Y4 list.

I will just share what I have done so far. I am moving to TOG, while still using a lot of my SL, since I already own seven cores. I took the primary and alternative lists from the Lampstand Press Resource list and printed them all off for that level. I then went through my home library and searched my library online to see what books I already had available. Then I put together a list of what I really needed to purchase. I also looked at the notes, which are so extensive. Sometimes I can use another book and read the notes, remember they are from World Book, does your library have access to that?

My oldest is currently in Dialetic so maybe none of this applies. :)

I am lining up my Lit but that is again for Dialetic, there is a list already made aligning the cores with TOG on one of the yahoo groups but it doesn't include Y4. (I think it would be harder to use alternative books for Literature at the R level, it would defeat the purpose of the notes.) There are also lists for the Teaching Company videos if you own any of those. You can search the DE, I just search the year or person to see where that book or alternative resource would fit.

All that to say I could see subbing it for history but not literature, otherwise I wouldn't think it would be worth the cost.

Edited by melmichigan