Menu

What name do I give this history and other transcript questions

Hello,

I'm using TOG. Last year we finished YR 4 U1&2 so I plan to finish YR4 U 3&4 this year and then move onto YR 1. This is the way the years will work out for my 14yo:

9th YR 4 U3&4 and YR 1 U1&2

10th YR 1 U3&4 and YR 2 U1&2

11th YR2 U3&4 and YR3 U1&2

12th YR 3 U3&4 and YR 4 U 1&2

I wondered about not doing YR 4 U3&4 this year so I could do one TOG year each school year, but my ds really wants to learn this part of history.

So, what title do I give those histories on a transcript? Can I just call

9th Ancient History

10th Medieval

11th World

12th American Hx

Really 9th is a combination of 20th Cent Am and Ancient.

Literature Question: Can a student just read literature for it to count as literature? Or must I have my ds do the literature worksheets and/or discussions of literature from say, TOG for example?

Logic question: I plan to have my ds use The Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox as a Logic course this year. Would those 2 books be one credit?

Logic question: I plan to have my ds use The Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox as a Logic course this year. Would those 2 books be one credit?
I don't know the other things, but I can answer this one: The MFW site says these two books can be combined under the title of "Intro. to Logic" and are worth 1/2 credit for both of them. They're really more Junior High level, so are not worth a whole credit.

When I do half of one year and half of another year (ie: half of YR 4 and Half of YR1 in the same school year) what do I call that on a transcript?

Are there any high school logic courses? My ds hasn't had any logic courses before.

You could always do the credits by semester - .5 credit modern world history, or American history, whichever; and .5 credit ancient world history.

Or, you can do a subject transcript and not mark out the courses by date. Then on the transcript you'd just have Ancient World History, Medieval World History, Modern World History, and American history, with no dates.

No, you do not have to do the literature worksheets. You should discuss the readings, though, and have your son write about them. You might check out what SWB has to say about high school writing and literary analysis.

TOG literature is fantastic. However, it's also packed full, very busy. You can stick to reading/discussing/writing.

Stephanie,

That was HUGE help. You "gave me the permission" I was looking for...not all the worksheets, just read, discuss, write---yeah! Now, I need help with the having him write part. I was planning to use TOG writing this year for the 1st time. Will that incorporate writing for literature?

Where do I read what SWB said about writing about literature? In the Well-Educated Mind? I just ordered that from the library.

What about learning literary terms? TOG includes it in Dialectic (and maybe Rhetoric but I'm not sure). I had a hard time getting all of that in during the past few years but we did some.

Stephanie,

That was HUGE help. You "gave me the permission" I was looking for...not all the worksheets, just read, discuss, write---yeah! Now, I need help with the having him write part. I was planning to use TOG writing this year for the 1st time. Will that incorporate writing for literature?

Where do I read what SWB said about writing about literature? In the Well-Educated Mind? I just ordered that from the library.

What about learning literary terms? TOG includes it in Dialectic (and maybe Rhetoric but I'm not sure). I had a hard time getting all of that in during the past few years but we did some.

Do you have a copy of TWTM? You can read the Rhetoric Stage Great Books section. She talks about writing and literature in that.

But also, there are mp3s of her talks for sale on the Peace Hill Press website. They are fantastic!! They will put your mind at ease, and make you feel that high school literature and writing is really doable. She has one on literary analysis.

TOG Rhetoric literature is comparable to my college lit survey classes. It really is. I'm in awe of people who do it. We are not going to cover nearly as many literary terms as TOG will, but I'm okay with that. I think I only knew basic literary terms, and NO literary analysis when I went to college. And I majored in English :lol:

Hello,

I'm using TOG. Last year we finished YR 4 U1&2 so I plan to finish YR4 U 3&4 this year and then move onto YR 1. This is the way the years will work out for my 14yo:

9th YR 4 U3&4 and YR 1 U1&2

10th YR 1 U3&4 and YR 2 U1&2

11th YR2 U3&4 and YR3 U1&2

12th YR 3 U3&4 and YR 4 U 1&2

I wondered about not doing YR 4 U3&4 this year so I could do one TOG year each school year, but my ds really wants to learn this part of history.

So, what title do I give those histories on a transcript? Can I just call

9th Ancient History

10th Medieval

11th World

12th American Hx

Really 9th is a combination of 20th Cent Am and Ancient.

Literature Question: Can a student just read literature for it to count as literature? Or must I have my ds do the literature worksheets and/or discussions of literature from say, TOG for example?

Well, if the transcript is for college, that might not work; colleges generally expect to see world history, U.S. history, and U.S. government (and economics). You'd have three years of world history, one year of U.S. history, and no governent.

Of course, not all colleges care that much. :-)

You can do "literature" any way you want. It's just a grade on the transcript. However, it is common to have 3 or 4 years of English, with each year being composition and literature, rather than a whole credit for literature alone.

Well, if the transcript is for college, that might not work; colleges generally expect to see world history, U.S. history, and U.S. government (and economics). You'd have three years of world history, one year of U.S. history, and no government.

Of course, not all colleges care that much. :-)

My daughter applied to ten colleges of varying selectivity and was accepted at eight. She had three social studies courses during high school -- World History from 1700 to 2000, AP US History, and AP Comparative Government & Politics. So, I'm in agreement that college requirements/recommendations vary.

Regards,

Kareni

My daughter applied to ten colleges of varying selectivity and was accepted at eight. She had three social studies courses during high school -- World History from 1700 to 2000, AP US History, and AP Comparative Government & Politics. So, I'm in agreement that college requirements/recommendations vary.

Regards,

Kareni

Well, see, she had world history, U.S. history, and U.S. government, even though the titles were different, yes?

Well, see, she had world history, U.S. history, and U.S. government, even though the titles were different, yes?

But those TOG classes *are* world history. Ancient and medieval history - both are world history.

The OP could always retitle them as World History I, or Ancient World History; World History II or Medieval/Renaissance World History; American History, and Modern World History.

My son's transcript will likely end up with these designations:

World History I

World History II

American History I

American History II

In reality, those will all be chronological Great Books courses.

... colleges generally expect to see world history, U.S. history, and U.S. government (and economics).

My daughter applied to ten colleges of varying selectivity and was accepted at eight. She had three social studies courses during high school -- World History from 1700 to 2000, AP US History, and AP Comparative Government & Politics.

It was close. The AP Comparative Government & Politics class did study US Government, but it also studied the government of five or so other countries as well. And my daughter did not have Economics. Still these three classes worked for her. I'd have liked her to have had an additional class in the area of social studies; however, there are only so many hours in a day. Her interests dictated more than a standard amount of credits in foreign language with five years of Latin and one of Ancient Greek.

Regards,

Kareni

World History I

World History II

American History I

American History II

That might work. Would it matter to anyone that he did half of the 2oth century and half ancient world in 9th and not all World hx? He'll get all the above but for 2 years he'll have half World HX and half Am Hx.

But those TOG classes *are* world history. Ancient and medieval history - both are world history.

I know that.

The OP could always retitle them as World History I, or Ancient World History; World History II or Medieval/Renaissance World History; American History, and Modern World History.

My son's transcript will likely end up with these designations:

World History I

World History II

American History I

American History II

In reality, those will all be chronological Great Books courses.

I was trying to point out that it is commonly expected to have 1 year of world history, 1 year of U.S. history, and 1 year of U.S. government/economics, not 2 years of world history and 2 years of U.S. history. That's what Kareni's dc had: 1 year of world history, one year of American history, and 1 year of U.S. government, even though the course titles were not "world history," "American history" and "U.S. government."