Menu

Attention PROS... And anyone else!

To all you pros and anyone else who would like to jump on in and give a girl a hand:

:grouphug:

(I wanted to make a poll for this- but couldn't find how to. Is that just for administration?)

Getting to the point...Drum roll please! :thumbup:

If you had to choose: Would you recommend learning vocabulary words, or the decoding process- Learning prefixes, suffixes and roots?

I have another question- but I will wait until there are answers to this one first. :nopity:(I know, you just can't wait for me to pick your brain some more!)

> I did post this in the lower grades forum, but I wanted opinions from here as well, as maybe looking back you would've done something different- or not!

To all you pros and anyone else who would like to jump on in and give a girl a hand:

:grouphug:

(I wanted to make a poll for this- but couldn't find how to. Is that just for administration?)

Getting to the point...Drum roll please! :thumbup:

If you had to choose: Would you recommend learning vocabulary words, or the decoding process- Learning prefixes, suffixes and roots?

I have another question- but I will wait until there are answers to this one first. :nopity:(I know, you just can't wait for me to pick your brain some more!)

> I did post this in the lower grades forum, but I wanted opinions from here as well, as maybe looking back you would've done something different- or not!

We are using the decoding process starting this year. That is the method that I was taught in high school and to this day, I appreciate the skills that approach has given me. Vocabulary words that are not tied to anything relevant tend to escape one's memory, although our experience with MCT in that regard was excellent. MCT's word list are based off of the most frequently used words in classic literature so your child is bound to come across their vocabulary words in their reading. This makes them more relevant.

Thank-you, Lisa.

Seems like I ran across the MCT site a year or so ago and wasn't intrigued. However, in looking up what you were talking about- I browsed around a bit and am curious about if for my 9th grader. I really liked what I saw. The Language Arts program makes me think she would thrive using these. Could you tell me the process that these books use? Will she have to have the whole curriculum? She's a little fuzzy on her grammar, but quick to learn.

Edited by Pam B

I would definitely choose the decoding process. I took a course in college which used a text titled something like "Latin and Greek Roots of the English Language". It included prefixes and suffixes as well. It was incredibly valuable, and I use the skills from that class all the time when I encounter a new word. I may not be able to give you a precise definition, but I can usually figure out the gist of it.

Okay, so now, I guess my next question would be what is the best way to STUDY- whether it be decoding or whole word, although I am really thinking whole word is how we will go- What do you recommend? Is there anything that sticks out in your mind that will reinforce the word/part of word and the definition?

I just really find the "sit and study it forever" approach rather... boring and it doesn't seem to stick. There must be a better way!

Okay, so now, I guess my next question would be what is the best way to STUDY- whether it be decoding or whole word, although I am really thinking whole word is how we will go- What do you recommend? Is there anything that sticks out in your mind that will reinforce the word/part of word and the definition?

I just really find the "sit and study it forever" approach rather... boring and it doesn't seem to stick. There must be a better way!

:bigear: