Menu

looking for books about teaching writing

JennyD

I'm interested in reading up on different approaches to teaching writing to elementary school-age kids. At this point I'm not so much shopping for a curriculum as I am trying to get a sense of the varying philosophies and general techniques that are out there.

Any suggestions? I've read TWTM, of course, as well as Any Child Can Write and Calkins's Raising Lifelong Learners.

Thanks!

Edited by JennyD

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I'm interested in reading up on different approaches to teaching writing to elementary school-age kids. At this point I'm not so much shopping for a curriculum as I am trying to get a sense of the varying philosophies and general techniques that are out there.

Any suggestions? I've read TWTM, of course, as well as Any Child Can Write and Calkins's Raising Lifelong Learners.

Thanks!

Some stuff I love...

Bravewriter (If I had to pick just two resources for writing, they would be WWE and The Writer's Jungle from Bravewriter.)

About the Authors

Mentor Texts and Nonfiction Mentor Texts

A Place for Wonder: Reading and Writing Non-Fiction in the Primary Grades

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Peace Hill Price sells the audio lectures, from Susan Wise Bauer, about teaching writing to various ages. I highly recommend them, and, if you do a search on here, you will find that many others think very highly of them, as well. If you want it in written form, then her book, Writing With Ease, is pretty good.

:iagree:

These are excellent--good to affirm your decision to use WWE and good if you're still trying to figure out if you should buy into the concept of copywork/dictation.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Do most of you use WWE and IEW?

People here use all kinds of things...WWE, Bravewriter, Michael Clay Thompson LA, IEW, Classical Writing, CLE, R&S, Voyages in English. The list goes on and on.

I have always heard IEW is the best!

As with all homeschool things, the best is subjective. Some people hate IEW and love MCTLA and some people feel the exact opposite. The best is what works for your own teaching style and your own child's learning style. Whatever inspires the kids to write and write well is what's best for us. :001_smile:

Thanks so much, all! I appreciate the suggestions.

Some stuff I love...

Bravewriter (If I had to pick just two resources for writing, they would be WWE and The Writer's Jungle from Bravewriter.)

About the Authors

Mentor Texts and Nonfiction Mentor Texts

A Place for Wonder: Reading and Writing Non-Fiction in the Primary Grades

I will definitely check these out - thanks!