Menu

Can someone tell me about WWE

lwilliams1922

Okay, I'm not going to be too much help but I would also like to know a little about this. I just received the Instructor's Text and the Workbook in the mail but I haven't gone through it yet.

I don't think that you need an extra set of Student pages unless you have more than one child using the curriculum. The student pages are in the workbook.

I have read that you can use just the workbook or just the Instructor's Text but how would they be used together if you got both?

I'm going to read through it tonight and tomorrow but I saw your question and thought I'd ask. :D

Are all of these needed or is there overlap? Is the work book enough or do you need all three?

We did WWE 3 last year and I only purchased the workbook. I liked having everything laid out for me. If you want to choose your own passages, then you only need the textbook. It explains how to implement all 4 levels in the text. HTH! :001_smile:

ETA: I checked out the text from the library. I'm very glad that I read it because it helped me to understand the program.

Edited by tennismomkelly

The Complete Writer spells out SWB's philosophy. I believe it's the same text as in her CD Writing Without Fear. The Complete Writer spells out for you what to do and gives you the text for copywork and dictation for I think 2-4 weeks. Then for the next 6 weeks, it tells you what types of passages to look for when choosing them for copywork/dictation. FOr ex: choose a passage with proper nouns. So if you want one book which will take you through all 4 years, and you want to find your own passages for copywork and dictation and narration, this is the book for you. I think after the first 10 weeks, you get another 2weeks of material for narration, copywork and dictation so you can see how the difficulty is changing. Again, you choose the next 6weeks of material. I think there are 4 blocks like this.

If you want the ENTIRE year spelled out for you, including passages for narration, copywork and dictation then the Workbooks are for you. You have to buy one each year.

If you have more than one student and do not want to photocopy the student pages at the back of the Workbook, then buy an extra set of student pages.

I like having the workbook. It's open and go. I'm not a big pre-planner so this works well for us. Even on our busiest most hectic day, we can get WWE done b/c I can just open the books and we can get it done. Others prefer finding their own passages and can get buy w/ just the Complete Writer.

Capt_Uhura

The Complete Writer spells out SWB's philosophy. I believe it's the same text as in her CD Writing Without Fear. The Complete Writer spells out for you what to do and gives you the text for copywork and dictation for I think 2-4 weeks. Then for the next 6 weeks, it tells you what types of passages to look for when choosing them for copywork/dictation. FOr ex: choose a passage with proper nouns. So if you want one book which will take you through all 4 years, and you want to find your own passages for copywork and dictation and narration, this is the book for you. I think after the first 10 weeks, you get another 2weeks of material for narration, copywork and dictation so you can see how the difficulty is changing. Again, you choose the next 6weeks of material. I think there are 4 blocks like this.

If you want the ENTIRE year spelled out for you, including passages for narration, copywork and dictation then the Workbooks are for you. You have to buy one each year.

If you have more than one student and do not want to photocopy the student pages at the back of the Workbook, then buy an extra set of student pages.

I like having the workbook. It's open and go. I'm not a big pre-planner so this works well for us. Even on our busiest most hectic day, we can get WWE done b/c I can just open the books and we can get it done. Others prefer finding their own passages and can get buy w/ just the Complete Writer.

Capt_Uhura

thanks for the detailed explanation!

I think I will get the text and the work book.

I needed to choose one or the other this year so I did just buy the workbook. It is fine in itself and I would probably choose it again if I did this year over. That being said, next year I plan to buy the instructor text, having a year of the workbook (having it all laid out for me) under my belt. :) I probably won't buy the student pages for my younger daughter. My son is using them, but the lines are bigger than what we use for Spell to Write and Read so it's not really benefiting him.