Menu

British Lit & History for 7th & 8th

Our Island Story for the history part? It is a very readable book that covers British History. Not sure about the Lit. part. Could you just go through the WTM lists and pick and choose representative British authors??? I had a course with this title in college, LOL!

We use Our Island Story, too.

Lightning Lit has a British lit. course that could be used, depending on the abilities of your students. I know some people are using LL high school courses with 7th and 8th graders.

Along with whatever else you decide, you might include "Mr. Midshipman Hornblower."

I might save the Great Books of British lit. for high school, and go with foundational materials, like "Tales From the Mabinogion." I would also consider "Jane Eyre," maybe "Frankenstein," and possibly "Lord of the Rings."

If you search mainlesson.com, someone, maybe Marshall, has an English Literature book. I remember it looking quite good.

A representation of the whole sweep of Brit. Lit? A sampling of classic authors? Authors Brits like to read?

Assuming that it is a sampling, some titles I off the top of my head:

1. Beowulf (numerous authors, pick the one that meets your kiddo reading abilities).

2. Chaucer--we have Anne Malcom's (sp) version. My jr. higher very much enjoyed that last year.

3. King Arthur books--Sutcliffe has a well-done trilogy for Jr. Highers but there are many good versions to choose from.

4. Many of Rosemary Sutcliffe's books as a matter of fact....

5. Books by CS Lewis and Tolkien

6. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome--very funny and very British

7. Dicken's book of your choice. Oliver Twist, Christmas Carol, Tale of Two Cities are all fairly accessible for Jr. Highers

8. RLS books: try Kidnapped or Treasure Island or The Black Arrow (listed in approx. order of difficulty).

9. A collection of Father Brown short stories by GK Chesterton

10. If a maturer student, they might enjoy Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice but I tend to wait til later to introduce my students to these as they are equal parts social commentary and story; my 7th and 8th graders prefer more story. ;)

HTH,