Menu

Finished Ancient Greece and celebrated with Greek food in a restaurant

I am not good at following recipes. so we went out to a Greek restaurant for lunch and had chicken kabeb, grape leaves with ground beef and rice wrapped inside, Aegean Dip (pita bread with lamb in it and a bowl of dip) as well as Greek salad, to finish we had Greek dessert, two types of pastry that were so fluffy and yummy.

We will go to another Greek restaurant in a couple of weeks.

We will start Ancient Romans soon. I think SOTW 1 paces it better than TOG 1 because TOG 1 has 9 weeks while SOTW 1 has 11 weeks. SOTW is much easier to use for the lower grammar ages, I have to say, especially when I cannot use library books easily with TOG 1.

Jade from Beijing

They have Greek restaurants in Bejing??? I never knew that! I think that is a great idea to end your studies with a special trip to a Greek Restaurant. Will you go Italian when you finish your Roman studies?

I am from Beijing, but I don't live there now. I am in MN, US.

You bet we will have Italian food when we are done with Roman studies.

We actually went to the art museum to see Egyptian art, Greek art, Chinese art and Roman sculpture first and then had lunch.

One cool thing to share is that my two ds are doing VBS with Joseph in Ancient Egypt. They are decorating mummies/small size, making necklaces, writing hierglyphics, making spices, making ropes, baskets, and coolest of all making bricks with mud and straw outdoors in a huge basin/tub and bare feet. They have brick mold to put the bricks in.

That church had Twelve Tribes two years ago and Paul and ancient Rome last year. We didn't go last year because it was expensive. This year they cut the price to half (30$/child). We love to go there in the summer for the cool history and Bible VBS.

J

What a great idea. We're doing SOTW1 this year, so we'll steal your idea.

What did you do when you finished Egypt?

We didn't do anything when we finished Egypt. There used to be an Egyptian restaurant a few blocks from us and another one called Blue Nile not far away. However, they were both out of business and had to close.

If you want to celebrate, there are ideas from TOG Year 1. TOG plans for students and families to celebrated every nine weeks after they finish each unit. That gave me ideas too.

J

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to a Greek Festival held at an Orthodox Greek church next weekend. There will be Greek dance, music, and of course gyro, lamb, chicken, Greek pastries. My ds saw the poster while we drove home one day and were excited and wanted to go. We were at a used bookstore and ds7 went to the section about ancient Greece and Rome. He picked up several huge books and read a little. He was super excited when he saw the word Spartacus in the middle of a page with tiny words. We watched part of Spartacus to give dc some idea of gladiator school and slaves. We haven't even really started Ancient Romans yet, but we watched some Battles BC, pretty violent stuff. But the kids remember a lot of it, especially Julius Caesar's battle with the Gauls when he built multiple layers of walls and Hannibal and his elephants. I wonder if you let your kids watch history documentaries on DVDs to enrich your study. My boys are not scared of the violence at all. On the other hand, I wonder if it might be not good for them?