Menu

Any recommendations when buying a dehydrator?

:iagree: It is wonderful. I even take out all the trays and incubate my yogurt in there. They only extras i would want is the flat sheets for making dried fruit leather. I'm not sure they come with it or are extra. The only other thing to think about is it's size. It is kinda big. It is well worth the counter space, I love my Excalibur.:D

I LOVE my Excalibur. Mine doesn't have a timer and auto. shutoff, but that's not really a probably for me. It runs most of Sept. and Oct. with fruits and vegetables to dry. The rest of the year I use it to raise bread dough.

eta: Mine came with a cookbook - Preserve it Naturally: The Complete Guide to Food Dehydration. I also have How to Dry Foods by Deanna DeLong. Oh, and homemade beef jerky is delicious.

Edited by Ishki

I, too, love my Excalibur. I did some research on them and other brands before buying and I believe you can't go wrong with the Excalibur. Mine came with two of the fruit leather sheets and I went ahead and bought 5 extra. We love using it for this and make lots of homemade "fruit roll ups".

Oooh, we love beef jerky here. Do have a recipe that you wouldn't mind sharing? Thanks!:D

I use flank steak and partially freeze it so it's easier to slice - about a 1/4" thick. We like teriyaki best. I don't usually measure but it's about 1/2 t. salt, fresh ground black pepper, 1 to 2 cloves garlic crushed, 1/2 t. ground ginger, 2 to 3 T. brown sugar, 1/4 c. soy sauce. I marinate the meat overnight. Your dehydrator's instruction book should have the correct temp. and time for jerky. I do keep it in the refrigerator after done, however, it never lasts very long.