Menu

Yet another thread on Apologia science....

HSMom2One

Okay, now my question is this: How teacher intensive are the Apologia courses? Would it be easy for a teacher to just open up and go, or is there a lot of prep work involved? It looks like my friend may be willing to teach in our little co-op again this year if we can find the right teacher-friendly curriculum.

Thanks once again fellow Hive members for your input.

Blessings,

Lucinda

That depends on the ability of the student. My fourth grader pretty much ran it herself this past year, but my first grader needed me to read it aloud and guide him through nearly all of it. Even with my little guy it didn't take much prep on my part.

We've got 3 6th graders in our little group, and I was wondering if they could work independently with their books and then meet once a week to do experiments and supplemental activities plus go over the week's lesson with a teacher. Does that seem like a good fit for Apologia at that level, or would the teacher still need to do a lot of prepping?

Blessings,

Lucinda

If you're referring to the Gen. Sci, a teacher could simply read through the chapter...no biggie. I hardly cracked open the book and led discussions with my boys.

If you mean the Fullbright books........easy breezy! We read aloud the whole thing and I never prepped, not once! Well, I did get out experiment supplies, but that's it!

If you're referring to the Gen. Sci, a teacher could simply read through the chapter...no biggie. I hardly cracked open the book and led discussions with my boys.

If you mean the Fullbright books........easy breezy! We read aloud the whole thing and I never prepped, not once! Well, I did get out experiment supplies, but that's it!

Thanks Tina! That helps a lot...now, hopefully we can work it out for our co-op to stay together.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Well, we took that trip to see Apologia books in person and it helped so much to come up with our plan for the science group this year. As it turns out, we did not go to the Kingfisher store after all because Exodus had such a great selection that we just didn't feel a need to drive further into the city. Sometime I'll have to head over there just to see the store and browse around, but for now I'm going to stick with Exodus when I need a homeschool specialty store. What a great store! And Eli, the owner, was so helpful. My friend and I were able to talk to him in-depth about using Apologia and he took a lot of time to help us out.

Okay, I'll stop rambling now. Thank you all for the input in this thread. :~)

Blessings,

Lucinda