Menu

Vocab fron Classical Roots

zaichiki

How do I decide which level to get?

We've never done Latin/Greek roots before, but ds has studied them a bit on his own when researching names of animals that lived during prehistoric times. He's a very quick study when it comes to vocabulary (doesn't really need to study). We will be doing First Form Latin as well.

So, where do I start with Vocabulary from Classical Roots?

Have you been there/done that? Help!

Uh-oh. I think I just ordered Book A (grade 7) for my 8th grader. Did I choose wrong?

No, that should be fine. They are looking at the numbered books that come *before* the letter books.

I know SWB says if you did Spelling Workout, there is no need for Books 4,5,6, of Vocab from Classical Roots. Start with Book A. Don't know if that helps.

We didn't do Spelling Workout.

Should I start with the Grade 4 book b/c it's the beginning of the series? (I like to start things at the beginning.)

Should I start with the Grade 5 book b/c that's what SWB suggests for those who haven't done Spelling Workout?

Should I start with the Grade 6 book b/c that's where he is age-wise?

Should I start with the A level book b/c it sounds like it's the beginning of the upper level of VfCR and this kind of thing comes easily to him? And we'll be doing Latin, too...

What do you think?

I know SWB says if you did Spelling Workout, there is no need for Books 4,5,6, of Vocab from Classical Roots. Start with Book A. Don't know if that helps.

That's exactly why I ordered this program. We use SP, and so the recommendation is that you add a good vocabulary curriculum to your LA. When this is the case, they say (pg. 340 of TWTM) that you should "plan on doing the grades 4,5 and 6 books over the 5th and 6th grade years (it isn't necessary to begin them sooner) and move on to Book A in 7th grade." They also state that you should plan to complete A and B in 7th grade, as well as C and D in 8th grade. It probably wouldn't matter that much (IMHO) if you used A & B in 8th grade though.

By what I've read in TWTM, I don't think using VFCR is even necessary if you used SW for spelling. This is thoroughly explained in the Logic level LA section of TWTM.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

Zaichiki,

I just got books 4 and 5 - if you want to know any details, PM me. I think there's a list on the inside cover of the words/roots covered in each book. You sound like me - I stress about stuff like this all the time! I have a natural speller, and I can't decide what to do with her! Spelling Workout, but starting at which level? Wordly Wise? Vocab from Classical Roots? All of them? none of them?? :001_smile:

FWIW, the books are short enough that if you start with book 4 and it's too easy, you'd get through it pretty fast. I don't think it would be too easy though, judging from my quick glance.