Menu

High school credits for world history in Tennessee

My plan for world history was to divide it into a year and a half. I did not want to cram thousands of years of history into one year and since dd has not had much world history, I didn't feel like that would be overdoing it. I asked my cover school here in TN, if I could give her 1.5 credits for world history. The response was that "Even if a student takes longer to finish a course, she will still only get one credit for it." Maybe I didn't explain myself to her very well, I don't know.

Has anyone successfully submitted a transcript to their TN cover school dividing world history into more than one credit (TOG, WTM, MFW)?

I sent her an email back asking her if she was familiar with the classical model of education and explained that I could divide it into 2 years and give a different course description for each credit. I also sent links to the TOG website showing the course descriptions for 4 years of history.

Kathleen

Edited by Mountainpatriot
add my name

The way my TN cover school is seeing it on my oldest child's transcript is:

9th grade, MFW, Ancient History and Literature

10th grade, MFW World History and Literature

The cover school was fine with it. One of the counselors from my cover school was at local convention where MFW was, and we looked together over the program and the counselor was fine with it. She saw that each of those years in MFW, Ancients, and then World, were each offering one history credit.

Even in the cover school's "course descriptions" they allow for a 2 semester course in Ancient and a different course in World history.

here's a link to how they describe it.

http://www.homelifeacademy.com/RESOURCES/courcedesc.aspx#course_descriptions

I guess if I took 2 years to complete MFW's AHL (ancient history and literature), then it would still only be 1 credit.

-crystal