Menu

Short Essay Questions...

Okay this may seem really basic, but uh, how do I teach dd to write one of these? It was never taught to her or required in any of her oursourced English classes or when she was at PS. Is it multiple paragraphs, like a real essay or just one really detailed paragraph that answers the question.

An example would be:

What factors determined the party affiliation of American voters in the period of 1876-1900?

When I was looking at samples of CLE online, I saw that they teach how to answer essay questions. I think it may have been in a 9th grade English light unit. It was enlightening for me, just looking at that sample. Perhaps you can find in.

What I remember is that they teach to answer the question, first, by simply making a thesis statement. Then write the body paragraphs to prove the statement. End there, with no conclusion. So, if you compare it to a typical five-paragraph essay you wouldn't have any introductory paragraph except for the thesis statement alone. You would keep the three body paragraphs but not write a concluding paragraph.

Hope this makes sense! (And, I hope I remember it correctly.)