Menu

Update on my 14 yo returning to school...

I posted last spring when I was sick with worry about sending middle dd w/ mild dyslexia back to school. I felt like I was between a rock and hard place... If I tell her she can't go back to school, she'll feel like I'm saying she can't cut it, but if she goes back and has a bad experience, her fragile confidence and self-esteem will be shattered.

Well, the school (a small public charter school) has been great. Dd's testing is out of date, but they are making accomodations for her anyway based on what I recommended. She goes to school early for what they call "0" period because they offered a 2-period Algebra I class this year for students who struggle with math. (They also offer study hall and musical theater during 0 period for students who need to be dropped off early or want the extra elective.) The special needs co-ordinator is an extra helper in the Alg class and she checks with dd daily to make sure she got all the notes, etc.

This is only the second week of school, but dd has come home every day with a smile on her face and her shoulders up. (When she's upset, her shoulders droop and you can tell something's wrong.) Organization was a bit of a challenge last week, but she seems to be getting better with that. She hasn't had any trouble getting up and getting ready on time even though while homeschooling she would sleep until 11 am if I allowed it.

When she was tested, the EdPsych said she wouldn't be able to learn note-taking, so it would have to be accomodated. Well, she did learn notetaking in her homeschool science class last year, and she is doing fine with it in school. I am so proud of her!!