Menu

Question about Honors College Invitation

One dd just received an unsolicited letter from a college of interest, inviting her to apply for their Honors program. Has anyone reveived such a letter (probably)?

We were very surprised and assume this was due to her ACT-score? I suggested she contact them to show her interest, but what should she chat with them about? She is interested in this college, but financially they are not that generous. Suggestions?

I received many mailings like that from various colleges as a high school senior. If you have good test scores, that somehow gets out. I think the College Board is also connected with it - at some point there's a box you check or don't check and your info gets out based on that..I think? It's a vague memory.

There is absolutely no obligation to respond to the letter unless your dd wants to. Based on some info this college has gathered about your dd (most likely test scores), they think she could be in the Honors College - or there's a high probability of it. They're just trying to market themselves. :)

Oh wow! I didn't realize it was a hand-signed letter. That's exciting! Those are quite rare in the college-mail world. :001_smile:

If I was your dd and I was interested in a college which sent me a hand-signed invite to their honors college, I would probably apply to the college and the Honors program. I would also consider calling them up and talking to a representative. There's no harm in applying, even if her chances of acceptable financial aid are small.

My son got a few of those so we figured if it was a school he was interested in and he was willing to do the essays and it was free, what's to lose?

Sometimes the honors acceptance can lead to a fellows invitation too! MOre scholarship $$$.

Mary

I would definitely not consider an honors college letter "generic." By no means does everybody get them, and your dd should feel proud of her accomplishment. :001_smile:

I know this sounds awful! BUt I guess this is what happens when oldest child unadvertently steals the limelight!

Yeah, I am feeling more excited now and happy for dd. She so wants and needs to establish herself independently of her sibling.