Menu

Greeting Cards

What do you do with greeting cards you receive?

There are certain ones I have kept that we received for specific reasons, like baby shower and baby birth cards, and sympathy cards for each of our parents.

But what do you do with birthday cards, get-well cards (for general run-of-the-mill illnesses or injuries - not life-threatening ones), various holiday cards, even cards from your spouse and children? Do you just toss them after a week or so? Is there something creative you do with them? Or do you have *pack-rat* tendencies and if so, then how do you store the cards? Even though I have dispensed with many-a-card, I still have oodles . . .

Most go in the kids craft box, some go in the recycling bin. I did have one once that was so pretty I had to pay international postage to send it to a scrapbooker so it wouldn't be wasted. Not sure what she did with it, if she did anything. Whichever the case, it is still living a better destiny than my kids' craft box.

Rosie

If the card says nothing more than "Love, So&SO," I toss it after a week or so (sometimes less). With the exception of cards to dh in the last 3 yrs--I've saved all of those, no matter what, in a manilla envelope, to give him (again, lol) as a graduation gift when he finishes seminary. Since we're leaving now, I'll probably stash them somewhere, so that if he ever returns & graduates, he'll have a really meaningful gift.

My mom, though, writes long notes in all of her cards & puts stickers all over the envelopes. Although many of them don't really say much--"I'm on my way to the bus & enclosing receipts in case this stuff doesn't fit the kids, etc."--there's enough there that I'd feel SO guilty to throw them out. I just cram them all in keepsake boxes. Someday she'll die, & then I'll be able to go thr them & know which ones I want to keep. :tongue_smilie:

The ones that the kids get for their b-days I usually keep for them and eventually box away with things I'll give to them when they are older, so they can look back and enjoy the memories and decide what they want to do with them.

The ones that are for me, unless I think it's a super special one, I'll end up tossing it. If it is particularly sweet/special to me, I'll keep it tucked away.

A card has to be REALLY special for me to keep it.

Once it has served its purpose and shared kind thoughts and words, it either goes in the craft box (usually just the front half) or if not interesting, then in the recycing bin.

Now, I do have the cards from when the kids were each born, bundled and in their baby box. I believe I have their 1st birthday bundles, too, but that is it.

I don't keep all the cards that come from friends at brithday parties for the kids. I toss most other cards, too, but I do keep cards from close family members. Just yesterday, I cam across a card from my dear aunt that passed away last year for the Littlest on her first birthday. I put that up in a safe place because I want to be reminded to tell Littlest how much her Aunt Tootie adored her when she was a baby.