Menu

School starts in a week, I'm in full panic mode

This is my first year homeschooling. School starts in one week. One dd, a jr. in high school. The books are lined up, the curricula are generated in big ole binders, the school supply lists have been made. Any words of wisdom from those of you that have been homeschooling for a long time, particularly those that have done these two critical final years of high school??? Half of me says I'm totally bonkers to be doing this. The other half says this may be the coolest thing ever! This forum has been the best resource I could wish for. Thanks to everyone!!!!

That's the first thing. Take a deep breath and relax.

I haven't done the last 2 years of high school yet. My oldest is in 10th this year. But I did bring them home from a brick and mortar school. Have a plan. Just take one day at a time. Remember to breathe!

Today is our first day this year. I'm trying to figure out what I've forgotten to do. I figured it out - copy their assignment sheets! I haven't ordered lab stuff yet either, but I have time on that one as we never start science the experiments the first week.

Don't panic! I love junior and senior years with my teens! It's when they start to grow up and have their own ambitions and start taking charge of what direction they want their live to go in. You can have some wonderful, illuminating discussions with them on matters of literature, philosophy, politics, religion. You can learn from them and their fresh take on things. It is an absolutely wonderful time to homeschool. You are brilliant and courageous to want to do it! Bon Voyage! It's a deeply rewarding journey!

The best advice I got was, "Remember: binders aren't binding." A veteran homeschooler pointed out that binders are made so we can put things in, take things out, move things around to suit ourselves and our needs. She said we should approach homeschooling with that in mind, trying different methods, shifting stuff around, keeping what works.

And I'll join you in those deep breathing exercises, as we're starting Grade Nine in a few weeks and I'm already twitchy. We can do this!

The best advice I got was, "Remember: binders aren't binding." A veteran homeschooler pointed out that binders are made so we can put things in, take things out, move things around to suit ourselves and our needs. She said we should approach homeschooling with that in mind, trying different methods, shifting stuff around, keeping what works.
:iagree:

Remember you are not having school at home in the sense that you have to do everything like a school would! You are HOME Schooling, meaning: You set the schedule that works best for your child. If your child does best staying up late and sleeping in, work with it. Start school at 11am instead of early, as some highschool classes do! I think they start way too early for teens!

Anyway, you're trying to work to optimize your child's learning experience, so do what needs to be done to help them be relaxed and have a good learning environment. Figure out where your daughter prefers to learn/study. It may be at a desk, but it may be sprawled on the couch or floor---that's okay! Whatever works to help them learn!

It may be "different" learning to have school at home and concentrate and stay on task. be aware of things that may distract/annoy.

Sometimes it's good to just set up a schedule and start by following it, just to get in the mode. BUT, if it doesn't work, change it up! Don't be afraid to be different than what is considered "the norm" in a brick and mortar school!

About the academics: There are no lunch lines, bathroom breaks, etc., etc. at home. Kids often get done with their work BEFORE you think they should. It's okay for them to get done early some days! I know that some parents feel they must not be giving enough work if the child gets done before the "allotted time", so they give them MORE work! Don't fall into that trap! That's rewarding hard work and accomplishment with......more work! Not fair!

And yes, relax! Children that homeschool often get a far better education, and learn better because they have the one-on-one attention and can work it around their optimim learning times!

You'll do fine! If you DO run into difficulties and start to panic, or think maybe you can't do it after all---RUN STRAIGHT HERE! We will be happy to help you through it! Everyone has days that don't go well. After awhile you learn not to panic too much, ;) It's not always easy, but the rewards are great!

Best wishes to you and your daughter! :grouphug: