Menu

Talk to me about Themes to Remember

WTMindy

Well - depends on the child - I have Volume 1 - my 3rd grader thinks it is goofy, but he likes it. Basically, you get a book and a CD. The book has a brief bio about the composer, and explains a little bit about each piece by that composer (for example - there are 4 different themes for GF Handel). The words to the songs are then included after the bio. You listen to the CD (tracks are keyed to the different themes) - and there are 2 tracks for each piece of music - they are only short snippets of famous pieces - chosen as the most recognizable and famous themes from the various composers. The first track for each theme has just the music. The 2nd track has the music with the words sung along. The words are just little ditties written to include the composers name and the name of the piece of music, and usually are along the theme of the music (Vivaldi's spring they sing about springtime).

My opinions - I am really struggling with using this - the memory concept it good - no question they learn the composer and name of the piece - but they also forever have those stupid lyrics stuck in their heads whenever they hear the music. We did Vivaldi - and now, everytime they hear Vivaldi's Spring - they run around singing "this music is by Vivaldi, Vivaldi, Vivaldi" It sort of reminds me of how you hear a snippet of a song on the radio then it is stuck in your head all day. It drives you crazy! And I just hate the idea of my kids going to see the Nutcracker, and instead of enjoying the music and story, they have those silly lyrics popping into their brains whenever they hear the various themes! Probably more than you wanted to know - but I think if you look on Amazon you can hear a sample of the songs - that might help in your decision. I still can't decide if we will use it or not.

I love this program!

Although it's true that the songs "get stuck in my head" LOL, I find that my dc enjoy listening to classical music more when they hear familiar themes. If I put on a classical music CD, they listen attentively to hear the compositions with which they are familiar.

I took them to see The Nutcracker last year, and they were not only familiar with the story, but recognised each of the movements, and I felt this enhanced their enjoyment of the performance.

Here's a link: Classical Magic to hear a sample :001_smile:

I agree to having them familiar with the music - sorry I did not mean to imply that you should not teach them the themes - we do a very good study of composer pieces each year. My kids can pick out many themes, and I agree they are thrilled when they recognize a piece they know. My dislike with this program is I just did not like the concept of adding lyrics. I have also found that the lyrics really have not been necessary for my kids to remember the details, they can recognize any piece we have covered really in just about any situation -

I actually just did a post last week on how we study music - here

Sorry, just wanted to clarify - I am definitely NOT saying I don't think you should study the pieces, this was just my personal dislike for how this program goes about it :)

Have you looked at the music program From Zeezok Publishing? It is a book to read on the composer's life and a CD that goes along with it. I think it is just music. I haven't listened to it yet http://www.bookpeddler.us/catalog/4720.html

We have two of these books and their accompanying CDs. The music on the CDs is music only, no lyrics. My dc and I enjoyed the books and I plan to get a couple more in the series next year.

This year we have been listening to the first volume of Themes to Remember. My younger child likes the lyrics and finds it easier to remember the music this way, but listening to the lyrics drives my older child nuts! So I go through each theme twice, with my older child leaving the room during the lyrics track. :rolleyes: