Menu

what dd found in the toad house today

I wish I had the wire to download pics off my camera!!!

Some of you may remember my posting about mulch, and being sad that after 14 years a toad had FINALLY taken up residence in my toad house, but then left it after putting mulch down. Well, a few days later the toad returned and now lives there. I see him hopping around by the bottom steps all the time. I tell dd to leave the toad house alone, that she'll drive him away if she's constantly disturbing it. Well, I guess she still checks on little toadie all the time anyway. Today she came running inside to tell me that he had a friend in the toad house with him - a small garter snake! I told her NO WAY, that the snakes eat the frogs/toads. I actually witnessed this once, much to my dismay. I've loved toads and frogs since I was a little girl. Anyway, I ran outside, camera in hand, and snapped a picture. Sure enough, toadie, about the size of a small peach, and garter snake were sleeping side by side in the house!!! It's a younger garter snake, thicker than a pencil and about 8 - 10 inches long! When I got my camera close up the snake slithered away, and the toad watched it as if to say, "Hey, friend, where are you going???"

:D

A frog moved into DD's wading pool after a couple of days of heavy rain last week. She's thrilled. I guess we won't be draining the pool as long as "Rana" is there.

Is there anything special we should do for the little guy?

I'd place something in there which would allow him to get out of the pool to eat, something like very large rocks or a piece of wood. He probably can't get out of the pool if he's just floating in water all the time, and he'll probably starve unless the bugs come to him.

ETA: if there are chemicals in the pool, I'd remove him.

No chemicals, just rainwater right now (It had been empty before the rain). He can get up and down DD's little tiny toddler slide that now lives in the pool (a little tykes one with a "rock" wall to climb up) and there are several toys floating that he can get in and out on.

I also suspect that he's in good shape bug-wise. Not only is the pool right near our back porch light, but we've observed a lot of insects there to drink.

So I googled 'toad house' and saw directions for making one. (I LOVE toads and frogs.) Is that what you did, Denise? (or anyone else who's done this) I would love to make a bunch of them and spread them around. But what about the cats? Won't they stalk the toads and bat them around? Would it turn the toad into a sitting duck for predators? Any suggestions anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kathy

ETA: Forgot to mention that we have raccoons and other critters.

I bought my toad house years and years ago. It looks like it's made of stone and is a group of mushrooms with a frog sitting on top, with a cut out hole for frogs and toads to get in. I'm shocked at the size of the large toad in my house! He must suck his guts in to get through. :D

We have cats, and they're becoming quite the nuisance outside. They've just recently decided to poop and pee by the front entrance of our house. I HATE THIS. But this is where my toad house is. My cats are out there sleeping beneath the bay window ALL THE TIME, and I've never known them to kill frogs or toads, although I find dead furry critters all the time. I'm not saying your cats WON'T kill the frogs or toads, but my 3 cats appear to leave them alone.

ETA we also live in the middle of the forest with TONS of creatures. I think snakes are the toads biggest threat,

Edited by Denisemomof4