Menu

Intro or Traditional Logic and/or TTC Argumentation

Facts:

• My dd is 15 yo and going into 9th grade (we're adding a year to her high school for various reasons)

• I own Introductory Logic which we began last year. I hated dealing with all those P's and Q's. :001_smile: My dd liked it okay.

• Intro Logic is supposedly numbers oriented

• Traditional Logic uses a more wordy approach

• Argumentation DVDs from TTC state that formal logic is not used in the real world (I own this set)

• I also own Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox

My questions:

1. Should I just use Intro Logic since I own it?

2. Should I buy Traditional Logic with the DVDs since I'm lame at logic teaching?

3. Should I use the Argumentation DVDs and just forget about doing any formal logic?

4. Should I_______________________ (fill in the blank)?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Beth, I would LOVE for my dd to take an outside class like that, but she does not want to, unfortunately. I will go and check out the course though; it sounds wonderful and I know she would learn much more than just doing this at home with me.

To add to my original post:

I guess what I'm asking is, "Should I have my dd take formal logic for the brain workout or should we just focus on something like the Argumentation course which bills itself as more likely to be used in real life situations?" I'm not sure I can muster up the courage to do both. ;)

Edit: I went over to TPS's site and read some of the class descriptions. It looks like Introductory Logic is first (called Propositional Logic) and then Argumentation is done in the second semester. They state that "Propositional Logic deals with deductive logic, Art of Argument introduces inductive logic." So, it looks like one complements the other. Hmmmm.

Edited by LatinTea
Added info after looking at TPS site

• 2 weeks later...