Menu

MEP Users (quick question)

Sahamamama

Ok so we used MEP for a few weeks this summer and loved it. I just looked over the workbooks and placed my kids where I thought they could fit. My K dd is doing Y1, and my 2nd grade ds Y2 We just started Singapore math two weeks ago. I can see how they have some similarites, but Singapore is more mastery meaning it focuses on one topic at a time. It isn't strictly mastery as it goes through several topics in a year. MEP to me seamed more spiral, because it goes through many topics at a time. MEP is very puzzley(is that even a word:lol:) and a lot different than anything else I've seen. I really like both and my plan is to do 4 weeks of SM, and then 1 week of MEP. I will also be using MEP as a summer supplement. HTH

We use both but are only in level 1 for each. I don't think that MEP is Singapore Math for free. To me, they are different. Singapore seems more like what you would expect from a typical math program, and MEP feels more like puzzle games and logic (in a good way). So far MEP appears to be moving slower through the concepts but it also mixes some of the concepts together. Singapore sticks with one thing and then moves on to the next.

We started them both at the same time and do the same number of lessons from each per week and in Singapore we have mastered addition through the number 10. We are in the middle of subtraction which also goes to 10. With MEP, we just started on addition to 4. However it has also touched on shapes, position and then there are the puzzles, patterns and logic exercises.

We use both but are only in level 1 for each. I don't think that MEP is Singapore Math for free. To me, they are different. Singapore seems more like what you would expect from a typical math program, and MEP feels more like puzzle games and logic (in a good way). So far MEP appears to be moving slower through the concepts but it also mixes some of the concepts together. Singapore sticks with one thing and then moves on to the next.

We started them both at the same time and do the same number of lessons from each per week and in Singapore we have mastered addition through the number 10. We are in the middle of subtraction which also goes to 10. With MEP, we just started on addition to 4. However it has also touched on shapes, position and then there are the puzzles, patterns and logic exercises.

Thank you, Zenz. Would you think that MEP might be a good supplement for a student in a more "traditional" type of math program (e.g., Horizons or Saxon)? My student seems to be doing well with this traditional approach, but I feel that it might be too.... cut-and-dry? :confused: I'm not mathy enough to put my finger on it, but at times the curriculum we are using seems to teach more "method" and less "problem solving." The student learns to do a certain type of problem a certain way, rather than being challenged to solve complex or multiple-step problems.

Rather than switch math programs next year, I was thinking that we could/should stick with our traditional program, and then supplement it with something that comes from a different angle. But we can't afford two complete programs for each student, so....

Thanks for all feedback.

Rather than switch math programs next year, I was thinking that we could/should stick with our traditional program, and then supplement it with something that comes from a different angle. But we can't afford two complete programs for each student, so....

I think MEP would do that for you. We have dabbled with it from time to time. I am not sure how you would choose placement other than going through and working out where you think your child might be at.

It certainly encourages out of the box thinking!

Hi, I am using it as a supplement for my oldest child. I tried 1a book with my 3.5 years old, but we got stuck after first 25 pages so I moved him to a little simpler math program, something between Singapore earlybird and MEP book 1a.

My oldest was going through 1b book this summer just for an extra practice. She thinks too slow, so for her MEP was working as a mental math. She will start MEP 2A book this coming Monday and will be doing level 2 this August and part of September.

MEP is an enrichment program, so I will be doing it after I went through a particular topic in SM PM textbook and Intensive Practice book+ CWP. I found half of its problems as challenging as "More Challenging Problems" in IP books.

MEP will be a good supplement to Calvert Math or Horizon math in my opinion, or a nice summer review program.

Edited by SneguochkaL