Menu

How do you choose...

By not wanting an online course, do you want to create your own?

If you want to create your own, I would recommend going to the AP Central portion of http://www.collegeboard.com. There you can print out the course description that will have specifics that need to be taught. They will also have recommended resources (texts) and discussion groups.

The Barron's books are one of many study guides. They're good supplements and study tools, but not a complete course in itself.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I heard AP changed their regulations and that you need to take by a certified AP teacher now (if you want the class itself to be counted as AP). My husband was able to find a site online in 2006/2007 to find a syllabus that would help with teaching my son AP World History. His class is able to count as an AP World History, even though it was homeschooled, and of course he was able to take the AP test. What I have heard is that the very next year, they changed it so that only a certified teacher could teach it. That's not to say that your child can't unofficially take an AP class, or study on his own. But then -- as far as I understand -- it cannot be listed on transcripts as an AP class. However, he/she is still able to take the AP exam, and if he/she passes, then that's probably the ultimate goal anyway!

To use the AP designation on your transcript, your course syllabus must be audited by the college board. Create an account on their website then follow the directions. You don't have to be certified, etc. From what I can find, your course doesn't have to be certified in order for a homeschooled student to take the exam. I guess then, if he passes, he potentially gets college credit (depending on the college), but I'm not sure that the course can be listed as an AP course, since it wasn't certified.