Menu

Please Help~ I need your personal experience

I have narrowed down my Algebra I choice to either Foerster or Jacobs.

I would then do:

Jacobs Geometry

Probably Feorster Algebra II etc.

Question: Did you use Foerster/Jacobs and did your child go on to college to pursue a career in math?

If so~ were they prepared or not after these courses??

I am extremely grateful for any help! :D

I may not be qualified to answer your question since ds is in 9th grade and intends to pursue a career in basketball with the NBA, but I'll give you my 2c anyway. :D

IMO, either Foerster or Jacobs will prepare your student well for a career in any math, science, or engineering field. We used Foerster Algebra 1 last year. You may read my review here.

We'll use Jacobs Geometry this year, then back to Foerster for as long as I can keep up. ;)

FWIW, I have a bachelor's degree in math and computer science and a master's degree in Industrial Engineering.

My oldest is just a high school senior, but I will say that I think either program will prepare a student well.

My oldest used Jacobs Algebra, Jacobs Geometry, Kinetic Books Algebra II, Larson's Precalculus, and will take statistics at the cc in the fall.

My middle dd started off using both Jacobs Algebra and Kinetic Books Algebra I. She didn't like the textbookyness of Jacobs or the immediate feedback of Kinetic Books at first, so she compromised by doing both programs, switching back and forth at the end of each chapter. About halfway through, she decided that she liked the presentation in Kinetic Books better and found the immediate feedback helpful rather than frustrating, so she dropped Jacobs and just did Kinetic Books. She did Jacobs Geometry last year and started Kinetic Books Algebra II a few months ago.

Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you!! :D You were all very helpful!!

I feel so much more confident about my choices now.

What would you suggest I need (besides the text) for Foerster Algebra I?

I don't want to purchase a Teacher's text unless it is extremely helpful.

I am wondering if I should purchase a solutions manual.

Thanks again!

I purchased a TM, but it's not necessary. I like to be able to look at my own book and all the answers were in there, but not the solutions. The solutions manual is essential. They are hard to come by used. I had to purchase mine new from Prentice Hall. Sorry, I should have hung on to the ISBN when I resold it.

You might find this post helpful for scheduling.

HTH!

I purchased a TM, but it's not necessary. I like to be able to look at my own book and all the answers were in there, but not the solutions. The solutions manual is essential. They are hard to come by used. I had to purchase mine new from Prentice Hall. Sorry, I should have hung on to the ISBN when I resold it.

You might find this post helpful for scheduling.

HTH!

Thanks again! That does help.

Would you know if any solutions manual would do or would I have to try to find the same edition/year as my text??

Thanks again! That does help.

Would you know if any solutions manual would do or would I have to try to find the same edition/year as my text??

It is my understanding that the books have changed little over the years, but I wouldn't get a really old one. If I remember correctly, they used to have a chapter on Basic programming language?

Here is a thread with some ISBNs. here's another.

It is my understanding that the books have changed little over the years, but I wouldn't get a really old one. If I remember correctly, they used to have a chapter on Basic programming language?

Here is a thread with some ISBNs. here's another.

okay, so I will just try to find the '94 solutions manual (which is the text I have) or, if I can't find one, purchase the newest one.

Thanks! I am so thankful for this site and all you who are willing to help.

I am new here, but there are soooo many math threads. I am sure some of you are sick of hearing/talking about it! :)