Menu

s/o What criteria is used to determine who is deferred?

Miss Marple

The thread on the student who was deferred until spring started me wondering how the school determines who gets deferred. Any ideas? Is it the students who applied later, the lower scoring applicants, those in need of financial aid?

I did not ask if she knew the reasons/criteria. I think she said there were 400 students who were deferred? She was not a late applicant, but I do know they were a bit worried about whether she would even be accepted. My understanding is that UF has become MUCH more competitive in terms of admissions. Her daughter has solid grades, many AP's with good scores, and a 30 on her ACT. I do not recall her SAT scores. I was surprised that they were worried about her getting in, but apparently it is that competitive.

Edited by Hoggirl

I did not ask if she knew the reasons/criteria. I think she said there were 400students who were deferred? She was not a late applicant, but I do know they were a bit worred about whether she would even be accepted. My understanding is that UF has become MUCH more competitive in terms of admissions. Her daughter has solid grades, many AP's with good scores, and a 30 on her ACT. I do not recall her SAT scores. I was surprised that they were worried about her getting in, but apparently it is that competitive.

Wow! She sounds like a great candidate! I'll be curious to see if we hear more of this type of thing over the next year or two.

I had a friend who was asked to re-apply to a very small, very demanding liberal arts college in about a year. They told her that they didn't think she was ready for the workload/demands of the coursework yet, but they thought she would be after some time had passed. She applied again the next year and got in.

Another reason for deferred enrollment, perhaps, would be that these people will do well at X college but are not as prepared as others, and the class for that year is already rather full. Just guessing here though.