Menu

Advice needed for our New Orleans Trip

Hello All,

We are planning a little get away to New Orleans. We have been several times, but not in the last 4 or 5 years. Typically, we would just do it as a day trip b/c my family is in Hattiesburg. We would just drive to visit them after a day at the Aquarium and stay the night there. This time we are actually going to stay for a couple of days. We will be needing a place to stay. We are much more quite small town folks, than busy noisy city folks (but we love the city!). Any advice on where to look for a hotel that could be up to 30 minutes away? Also, we have never been to the Insectarium. I didn't even know it was there until today. With three small kids, would you split the day between the Aquarium and the Insectarium (how much is there really to do/see there?) or just spend the day at the Aquarium? We will be there on Sunday and Monday. I believe that the Zoo, Aquarium and Insectarium are all closed on Monday. I was thinking maybe the Children's Museum on Monday??? All advice is welcome and appreciated!

thank you, thank you, thank you!

I can't help you with the hotel, but we spent 3 hours in the Aquarium last fall and would have stayed longer to watch some of the feedings, but we had to meet family for lunch. I don't know that it would be enough for a full day though. I think with a whole day I would split it, and call both places to see what times their activities/shows/feedings are so you can try to see them.

That's a good idea about the feedings. It's been such a long time since we've been that I just can't remember too much of it. We've always been on such a tight time schedule that I just could not remember if we just rushed through or if we saw all that we wanted too. kwim. And Oh Man is it expensive. That's the thing I really forgot about!

thanks so much so answering

Angela

The children's musuem is closed on Monday as well.

I think you could make a day at the Insectarium and Aquarium. There's also the Imax Theater.

Plus you could walk down Decatur and then hit Jackson Square. There's also other museums in the area, the cabildo, the pharmacy museum, plus you gotta have beignets and coffee/milk at cafe du monde.

The Insectarium is really wonderful.

You could look for hotels in Metairie - there's a new Holiday Inn in Metairie on N. Causeway.

Or you could look in Kenner - either of those cities are within 30 minutes.

Let me know if you have questions about a hotel you find.

I live in houma la, but I used to live in Kenner :)

Good luck and Have a GREAT trip.

Michelle

The children's musuem is closed on Monday as well.

I think you could make a day at the Insectarium and Aquarium. There's also the Imax Theater.

Plus you could walk down Decatur and then hit Jackson Square. There's also other museums in the area, the cabildo, the pharmacy museum, plus you gotta have beignets and coffee/milk at cafe du monde.

The Insectarium is really wonderful.

You could look for hotels in Metairie - there's a new Holiday Inn in Metairie on N. Causeway.

Or you could look in Kenner - either of those cities are within 30 minutes.

Let me know if you have questions about a hotel you find.

I live in houma la, but I used to live in Kenner :)

Good luck and Have a GREAT trip.

Michelle

Thanks for all the advice, but ESPECIALLY about the new hotel!

thanks

Angela

have a fantastic trip - some friends of mine in town from NJ just stayed at this Holiday Inn and they liked it. There's tons of construction going on around N. Causeway but it is right there by the Interstate so it's just a hop skip and jump and you are right back on the Interstate and heading back into downtown. You really can't get more convenient than that.

And then you are right there by Vet's - which is the main road in Metairie and there's tons of food and the mall is right there as well. There's also a cafe du monde on veterans if you miss it in the city. although i recommend hitting it in the city - the ambiance is second to none :)

my 4 yo absolutely LOVES to sit and have beignets and milk and listen to the band playing!!

Also if go to city park - Storyland should still be open - it's $3 to get into Storyland but there's also an amusement park, which I think is more like $15 per person. Idk honestly b/c I NEVER do that. Around the same area of city park is NOMA (the new orleans museum of art) - there's a beautiful sculpture garden and lots of places to picnic and run wild and play.

If you like jazz music or want to know the history of it, check out Preservation Hall - which is on S. Peters, the exact address I'm unsure of.

Also I think you can do riverboat rides from the aquarium to the zoo.

MUCH FUN :)

clearly i love my hometown of NOLA <3

I think that's all I have to add this time

Michelle