Menu

beginning exercise question

I used to work out...a long time ago. I'm just trying to get back going again. I'm about 25 lbs overweight but my only activity the last two years is taking care of my home/ family.

I did a Biggest Loser DVD yesterday. I was able to get through level one but I am sore today in the legs and arms. Not so sore I can't get around but I feel it when I stand up/ go up stairs, etc.

I am debating whether to do the video again today. I planned to. In my younger days I would have just kept pushing through. Now I am wondering if I should give myself a day to repair a little. I'm trying to think healthy choices over the long run - not the all or nothing attitude I have had in the past.

So, what do you think? Should I just hit the video again today and hope I don't get so sore to sideline me for a week, take a day off and rest, or try to do something less strenuous ? I know I could take a walk but it is really hot out and my neighborhood is so hilly it would be just as rigorous as the video.

I'd recommend letting your muscles recover today. Recovery and is an important part of building muscle tone! And soreness, in my experience, has been a pretty good indicator that recovery, not more work, is what is needed that day.

I would recommend, however, that you set aside some time for some deep, relaxing stretches. This will help the soreness and the recovery, because it works the lactic acid out of your muscles (or so I've heard! whatever the reason, it does seem to work.)

Congrats, btw, you're off to a great start!