Menu

US History for 4th grade

cdrumm4448

Guest Dulcimeramy

Sonlight Core 3 lines up with SOTW 3. If you went that route, you'd probably sort of switch the focus to studying US History with World History alongside.

(That is actually my preference for this age range. I want them to have a good, solid US history foundation without leaving them ignorant of what was happening in the rest of the world. They're going to do Early Modern and Modern World history in more depth in high school.)

It would work pretty perfectly to do the Sonlight Core 3 4-day program, and do 1 SOTW ch. per week on the 5th day.

On SOTW day, you could:

1. Read the chapter

2. Do the review Q's and narrations orally

3. Do the map and coloring page if desired

4. Look at the recommended pgs. in Usborne World History

5. Choose one project or recipe from the Activity Guide

We're doing SOTW 3 this year with a US History focus...I'm not sure what to use either. I will go look at SL now!

I am thinking of using Zinn's book (b/c it tells another perspective) and The Patriot's History book (where I would read) and then of course have living history books. We will also cover all of the U.S. Presidents through the gold rush, even though some didn't do that much. I'm working on it, I will let you know what I decide on too!

We'll start SOTW3 sometime this next year. I'm planning on going heavier on US History and lighter on World. I'll have additional reading for ds (4th grade) out of a couple children's encyclopedias. Also, most of his assigned reading will be based on American History. Something you might want to consider is being okay if it takes you longer than 9 months to do SOTW3... I'm planning that we'll take a bit longer to get through.

I would second the suggestion of using SL core 3. My only concern would be that it might be overdoing it, too much reading, etc., along with SOTW, depending on your family.

I am doing US history this year for 5th grade (taking a break from SOTW entirely), and this is what I am supplementing with:

Journeys in Time

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Journeys+in+Time:+New+Atlas+American+History/032521/1279715996-1644897

Places in Time

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Places+in+Time:+New+Atlas+of+American+History/032525/1279715996-1644897

Tunes That Teach American History

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Tunes+that+Teach+American+History/035312/1279715996-1644897

Look and Find in U.S. History (couldn't find a link)

HTH,