Menu

Buying airline tickets with/for a baby

I'm booking tickets for an out of town guest to my church. I need to put this on my credit card, so I need to do the booking for them. I'm looking at Expedia.

If they don't want a seat for the child, can you still travel that way? Just carry the baby in your lap? Do parents still do that? Do you still include the child and his/her name when you book the ticket?

I think they have a little box to check for a lap child on Expedia.

I've always purchased a ticket for my babies. It's usually 1/2 price or less for a baby under two. For me, it was worth every penny to have the baby in his/her carseat instead of my lap. :)

I recently booked a flight through Travelocity. They didn't ask for the name of the baby or anything, but different travel sites have different requirements. However the reservation is made, they should check with the specific airline for regulations. I believe every airline will allow a baby under 2 on a lap, but some airlines have paperwork that they want you to fill out/carry. SW Airlines wants you to show a copy of the birth certificate and fill out a form upon luggage check-in (I believe). We are flying Delta which doesn't seem to have any special requirements, but I'm bringing a copy of the baby's birth certificate anyway, just in case.