Menu

Freezing fresh bread- to slice or not to...

that is the question? I have lost all free time in life and have had to buy bread because I just didn't have time to make it. :glare: I got up extra early this morning to make sure I had enough time to get the bread made. I doubled the recipe, but we won't go through it all. I want to freeze the second loaf, but can't decide if it would be better to freeze it whole or slice it first.

I would slice it, because it will thaw faster that way. If your house is like mine, no one will notice the bread needs to be taken out of the freezer until there is none left in the fridge. If we have to wait for the entire solid loaf to thaw...well, that just wouldn't be good (and my kids would likely try to zap the whole loaf or some crazy thing!)

If it's already sliced, not only will the whole loaf thaw faster, but it is at least possible for someone to take out a slice or two and put them straight in the toaster oven and they will be ready to eat quite quickly.

If this bread is only to be eaten with meals and you will always take it out in plenty of time to be thawed before dinner, then it doesn't really matter; you could leave it whole.

that is the question? I have lost all free time in life and have had to buy bread because I just didn't have time to make it. :glare: I got up extra early this morning to make sure I had enough time to get the bread made. I doubled the recipe, but we won't go through it all. I want to freeze the second loaf, but can't decide if it would be better to freeze it whole or slice it first.

I always slice mine before I freeze it. It's so much easier to get a piece of bread out, even if it's still frozen, and toast it, than to wait for the entire loaf to thaw so it can be cut.

I freeze mine unsliced, mostly because I am lazy and I just want to get those extra loaves in the freezer. Glad I read about the sliced/frozen getting dry... :D

I always let my bread cool off completely before I slice and freeze it, and it's never dry. . .

Thanks for all the responses. I ended up throwing it in the freezer whole. I did so mainly because I ran out of time to cut it before going out the door. I figure I would try it one way then the other and see which works best for my bread recipe.