Menu

Hello and WW2??

Guest Ernestine

Guest Ernestine

HI Ladies,

I am new here and thought that this would be a great place to ask a few questions. My children will be taking a WW2 class in the Fall.

The summer reading choices are-

War As I Knew It -Patton

Day of Infamy- Walter Lord

Ghost Soldiers- Hampton Sides

Twelve O'Clock HIgh- Lay & Barlett

The class is high octane and I need to have the beginning smooth. One of my children is a girl with interests that will most likely lead to the nurses at Pearl Harbor and my son wll be able to just pick because this is his thing anyways.

ANY feedback on the books?

Any lighter read than another?

Thanks for any input.

The Albert Marrin books are very good. Three cover WW2: Stalin, Hitler, and War in the Pacific (something like that, we skipped that one).

My dd loved Number the Stars, So Far From the Bamboo Grove, Escape from Warsaw, and the movies Sound of Music and Hiding Place.

Guest Ernestine

HI and thanks for the welcome.

Susan, thanks for the list but the titles I mentioned are the specific ones to choose from.

I will still keep your in mind. Thanks again.

Day of Infamy is, obviously, about Pearl Harbor. So if your DD wants to find out about the background of that particular subject, she might want to go with that.

If your son already has some background in WWII, then the Patton book is probably the best of that list. It would be hard going, however, I think, without at least some familiarity with the place names, battles, and dramatis personae of the European theater. But there's no doubting the importance of the Patton book, both from his role in the events, and his wit and eye for the irony and complexity of the situation.

I'm not familiar with the Ghost Soldiers book, but from the subject matter, I would think it would be pretty difficult reading; it's approximately on par with Holocaust reading, or with the Rape of Nanking. If your kids are very sensitive, you may want to steer them away from it. It's one thing to know the facts of the events under discussion (Bataan death march, Japanese treatment of POW); it's another to read, page after page, of the sufferings that human beings can be put through.

Guest Ernestine

Thanks. That just may have changed his pick.

Thanks again.

I would assume the lightest read would be Day of Infamy??

yea or nay?

• 3 weeks later...