Menu

WWE3 how young is TOO young?

I am planning out our next year and DD is going to be through WWE2 a couple of months before her 7th Birthday. Is that TOO early to start WWE3?

We school year round and typically just roll into the next level when we get to it. I have paced the lessons into our plans as set out in the book (no doubling up). She is gifted and LA is her strong suit incase that influences your answer.

Oh, and incase it matters we will also be doing MCT Island level next year although i am yet to purchase it so i am not sure how much writing is required at that level and how it will slot together with WWE :)

I don't think you'll have a problem with it. The worst thing that happens is that you decide to set it aside for a couple of months and come back to it -- though I doubt you'll need to. There's really not very much writing in Island, so I don't think that will be an issue either.

just curious:

what were your reasons for choosing MCT instead of FLL to pair with the WWE. please don't hear skepticism in my question: i'm curious b/c i haven't felt that FLL1/2 has been a *perfect* fit for my DS but haven't known whether to do MCT or LLATL or actually CW when we finish up FLL2. {and i've about driven some of the others moms looony talking about it so i've stopped but your LA situation piqued my interest, so i am going out on a limb in potentially sabotaging your thread :tongue_smilie: we like WWE a lot.

My newly turned 7yr old DS will be starting WWE3 in a few months. I don't anticipate any problems but as in everything, I'm willing to slow down and/or tread water as long as needed. If it becomes overly frustrating, then you'll know you need a change. My 7yr old did MCT Island level and LOVED it. it was one of our BEST subjects all year...no kidding. He's not ready to move to Paragraph TOwn though. I anticipate no problems with Grammar Town as that is an area of strength for him but I'll just let him listen in on Paragraph Town as he wants as I'll be doing it w/ my 5th grader. The 7yr old will focus on free writing ala Bravewriter.

We were doing FLL1/2 and it was going ok. It was something to check off. But when we started MCT, it really awakened an interest in literature, poetic devices, word choice, grammar in both of my boys. I think it really appeals to boys. The retention has been near 100% for both boys who are strong in language arts. My 7yr old DS will be doing dictation in WWE and will say "And I know I need a comma here b/c this is a dependent clause followed by an independent clause."

Edited by Capt_Uhura

Hi Mirandi :)

I have not seen FLL IRL but from everything i have read (and samples) i decided that it would move way too slowly for my DD who is gifted and LA is her strongest suit. I would need to compact it alot and to me missing/skipping half of a program isn't value for money even if it is a great program.

We dabbled with Shurley this past year and it wasn't a hit. Since then i seem to be getting a better handle on my DD and i think MCT will be right up her alley. We are enjoying WWE too.

My newly turned 7yr old DS will be starting WWE3 in a few months. I don't anticipate any problems but as in everything, I'm willing to slow down and/or tread water as long as needed. If it becomes overly frustrating, then you'll know you need a change. My 7yr old did MCT Island level and LOVED it. it was one of our BEST subjects all year...no kidding. He's not ready to move to Paragraph TOwn though. I anticipate no problems with Grammar Town as that is an area of strength for him but I'll just let him listen in on Paragraph Town as he wants as I'll be doing it w/ my 5th grader. The 7yr old will focus on free writing ala Bravewriter.

Thanks for posting your experience. Bravewriter is on my list for further investigation :D