Menu

SL for high school?

I've used TOG for 4 years and I love it. I used SL before that. I am wondering if it would be easier, better if I have my 14 yo ds do SL for high school. I think it may be easier because of their schedule that is planned so the parent doesn't have to. It may be better because I won't have to spend as much time as I do for TOG although I will most like likey still use it for my youngers.

My concern about SL is that there is no ancient history. There is American history, History of God's kingdom (this one will have some world history), 20th Century World history and Civics/American Gov't.

It seems the SL history will leave gaps...but what they have sounds great.

I've used TOG for 4 years and I love it. I used SL before that. I am wondering if it would be easier, better if I have my 14 yo ds do SL for high school. I think it may be easier because of their schedule that is planned so the parent doesn't have to. It may be better because I won't have to spend as much time as I do for TOG although I will most like likey still use it for my youngers.

My concern about SL is that there is no ancient history. There is American history, History of God's kingdom (this one will have some world history), 20th Century World history and Civics/American Gov't.

Umm...you better go read some of the recent threads over at the SL boards or some here regarding SL for highschool. The IG's for upper cores have many MANY people frustrated and complaining to SL. Apparently it is NOT open and go and people are beyond frustrating. Go to the "dear sonlight" board at the forums and see for yourself

Here's my .02. SL for high school is not rigorous enough. I made that mistake with my first graduate. He did a ton of reading, but the rest of the upper cores were lacking. This time around I will be using TOG for high school because I believe it will prepare my next graduate for college better than SL would. Again, JMO.

I'm waiting to receive it this week, but am hoping that it will fill the need.

We have used SL until this year, and have been thrilled with the quality of what my kids have gleaned thus far, but really wanted the ancients for high school.

I am concerned about switching to MFW, because of the learning curve that comes with a new program, but am hopeful that my fear will have been for naught.

For many years, my dh has wished we would use TOG, but it is a visual assault for me. I struggle with the busyness of the pages, and really don't want to be planning anything. My years of planning and tweaking said plans are slowly dwindling. :)

All this to say, that for many months I prayed, and finally decided to go the MFW route. I should thank the ladies on this board to made me aware of the MFW AHL program. Thanks! :)

Best to you...

Here's my .02. SL for high school is not rigorous enough. I made that mistake with my first graduate. He did a ton of reading, but the rest of the upper cores were lacking. This time around I will be using TOG for high school because I believe it will prepare my next graduate for college better than SL would. Again, JMO.

Thank you for sharing this. In what way would you say they were lacking?

Winter Promise has a high school level ancient history course ("Quest for the Ancient World"). I've never used it so I cannot speak to it's quality.

Thank you for sharing this. In what way would you say they were lacking?

I don't think there was enough research or enough writing. Also, it has always bothered me that SL doesn't bother much with literature analysis. The geography was also weak in my opinion. We loved the books for the most part.