Menu

Supplementing Math

kahlanne

I am using Abeka math as our core math but am going to supplement it with Rightstart or Miquon. For those that supplement with math, do you try to find the same concept as your core or to you go through the supplement's book from beginning to end? Ex. If you are learning 1/4 and 1/2 in your core, would you search for fraction work in RS or Miquon to supplement? OR would you complete your daily work for core math and then later do set amount of work for RS/Miq thus completing the entire program start to finish?

Any advice appreciated.

Edited by kahlanne
shortening topic

We use all kinds of math curriculums.

I do not try to line up topics, unless they are really struggling in one book, then we might try another just for a new approach.

It seems to me that you lose some of the advantage of using two problems when you line up the topics. When I use two programs it is because I want to know that they really know that topic, when it comes up on a test or in real life. In some different presentation can they can see how to solve it.

If you line up the topics and they are already thinking "fractions" then changing to another book doesn't seem as reliable a gauge of their understanding compared to not lining up topics. If fractions doesn't come up in the other book for 2 months, then you can tell if they are still lost or if they have picked some understanding.

We use Singapore as our primary math curriculum, which has worked very well for two years. At the end of last year, when 3B covered fractions (at a dizzyingly fast pace, IMO), my son didn't really have a firm grasp on it so I have supplemented this summer with Life of Fred fractions and Funny and Fabulous Fraction Stories (ordered it from amazon.com upon a rec from someone here). This is the only supplementing we have needed thus far, but I expect that we will continue with Life of Fred as needed. Because I was looking to cement a specific concept, I chose supplements which addressed only that concept.

I am using Abeka math as our core math but am going to supplement it with Rightstart or Miquon. For those that supplement with math, do you try to find the same concept as your core or to you go through the supplement's book from beginning to end? Ex. If you are learning 1/4 and 1/2 in your core, would you search for fraction work in RS or Miquon to supplement? OR would you complete your daily work for core math and then later do set amount of work for RS/Miq thus completing the entire program start to finish?

Any advice appreciated.

I use Singapore and Right Start. I purposely delay starting Singapore Primary 1A till 2nd grade so that the topics are introduced in Right Start first, and review in Singapore. Other than that I do them straight through.

The awkward thing about trying what to look up a topic in RS is that it tends to introduce new topics at the end of the year, then take them more in depth the next year. For example B introduces addition and subtraction, but level C is where they are covered in depth. Does that mean you need both B and C, or do you just go with C? Also money, and time are covered with each new topic. Generally RS will introduce an idea then cover it with money and with time (later after they cover measurements they add that one on too). Thus you cover addition, addition with money, addition with time. Subtraction, subtraction with money, subtraction with time. Multiplication, multiplication with money, multiplication with time. Division, division with money, time and measurements.

Fractions I think are in level D, if I am remembering right this morning. Just in case you really wanted to know. :D

Heather