Menu

Will someone tell me if this is valid reasoning?

When rew addition problems to my dd (rising 7th grade), I am mindful of the fact that she really needs to go beyond the basic. Add 8+4 =12 carry the one etc.

So I have been talking ala Liping Ma and using terms like composing a unit and really stressing that when you are adding numbers in the tens column, you are not adding 1+3+5, but 10+30+50. Are you with me so far.

When we put the answer into the tens column we are using the identity law of addition. We know the answer is 90, but we only put 9 b/c the zero is added to the 2 from above and 0+2 = 2.

Now please know that math was not and is not my strong suit, so please be gentle. Is this a valid way to integrate the identity law of addition into a problem? I can see how it would be done in higher level math, but I want to discuss it here as well and this is the best way I can think of at the moment.

Thank you oh so wise and powerful mathematicians. I do not deserve to share cyberspace with you. :tongue_smilie:

when you are adding numbers in the tens column, you are not adding 1+3+5, but 10+30+50.

When we put the answer into the tens column we are using the identity law of addition. We know the answer is 90, but we only put 9 b/c the zero is added to the 2 from above and 0+2 = 2.

I'm not really following... where are you getting the 2?

In general, I wouldn't be using a problem like this to discuss the identity property of addition. I'd think it would be confusing.

Edited by Perry

I'm not really following... where are you getting the 2?

In general, I wouldn't be using a problem like this to discuss the identity property of addition. I'd think it would be confusing.

I've never heard of identity property being discussed before. We call it place value.

I understand that the 2 is from the 12, although I didn't at first. Still, I think the way this is all presented might be very confusing for your dd. Is it?

So if the problem is

+ 4

_____

While I was explaining that you don't really 'carry' the one as much as you have composed a unit of 10 and need to put it in the right place, it seems to me [woefully ignorant of math] that the reason you don't use the 0 is because of the identity law.

Instead of writing out the answer like

3000+300+90+2

You write

Does that make more sense? And yes I like to complicate things. It's in my nature. Hopefully my children will forgive me. :tongue_smilie:

While I was explaining that you don't really 'carry' the one as much as you have composed a unit of 10 and need to put it in the right place, it seems to me [woefully ignorant of math] that the reason you don't use the 0 is because of the identity law.

No, I don't really think it's appropriate to incorporate the identity property in this situation.

So if the problem is

+ 4

_____

3000+300+90+2

You write

While 3000+300+90+2 is a good way of representing the number 3392, I think you are trying to do too many different things with the problem. 3000+300+90+2 doesn't really have anything to do with the actual addition problem. If you want to demonstrate place value, I'd be doing it differently:

Add the Ones: 2+6+4 = 12

Add the Tens: 30+50 = 80

Add the Hundreds: 100+200 = 300

Add the Thousands: 3000 = 3000

------

12 + 80 + 300 + 3000 = 3392

So if the problem is

+ 4

_____

3000+300+90+2

You write

Does that make more sense? And yes I like to complicate things. It's in my nature. Hopefully my children will forgive me. :tongue_smilie:

No, that's place value.

3000 + 300 + 90 + 2 is expanded form of a number while 3392 is the standard form of the number.

At a basic level, some systems have an identity property.

With addition and the real numbers, the identity element is 0.

This means that you can add 0 to any number and the number stays the same: 0 + 5 = 5 + 0 = 5 (for example).

With multiplication, the identity element is 1.

(1)(9) = (9)(1) = 9.

You use the identity property of multiplication every time you get equivalent fractions.

We know the answer is 90, but we only put 9 b/c the zero is added to the 2 from above and 0+2 = 2.

I am certainly no mathemetician, but I don't think the identity law applies here. If you're trying to explain to her why you only put the one number in the column and "carry" the other, this seems fine. I may be confused, though. In your example above, wouldn't you write the 0 and add (carry) the 9 to the column to the left? Actually, the more I think about it, I think I am surely am confused as to what is being asked. Sorry I can't be more helpful! :001_unsure:

Edited by GraciebytheBay

I am certainly no mathemetician, and I'm not sure what the identity law of addition is. (I've heard of other laws of addition, but not this one.) However, if you're trying to explain to her why you only put the one number in the column and "carry" the other, this seems fine. I may be confused, though. In your example above, wouldn't you write the 0 and add (carry) the 9 to the column to the left? Actually, the more I think about it, I think I am surely am confused as to what is being asked. Sorry I can't be more helpful! :001_unsure:

I have that effect on people. ;)

If you're interested in getting a kid to really think clearly about place value, doing simple arithmetic in different bases and converting back and forth between them and base 10 works great.

Great. Throw another wrench into my school plans. :tongue_smilie: