Menu

Can I learn to make jam/jelly in, say, the next 20 min?

It's the cans & the pectin that confuse me. How about I just put it in some tupperware?

My gr-gr-grmother used to make watermelon jelly, & although I don't have her recipe, I've found some online. When I was a kid, I dreamed of watermelon jelly, had never heard of such, & on a whim mentioned it to grm, who told me about this mythical stuff her grm used to make.

BUT I really prefer all-fruit spreads. So if the order's not already too tall, I'd also like it sugar/aspartime free. Please. :D

I'm thinking of making watermelon muffins for friends in the morning. Wouldn't a watermelon spread be cool to go along w/?

I love breakfast.

You can use the tupperware if you can find a recipe for sugarless watermelon freezer jam or you just keep it all in the fridge. Do you have that kind of room? pectin is what makes the fruit juice thicken into jam btw.

That kind of room? How much are we making??? :001_huh: :lol:

Do you have pectin (the kind for use with sugar-less jelly)? Watermelon? Sure-jel makes a low sugar pectin that might be a good bet.

No pectin. Is it required or optional?

You are really doing two things: 1. making the jam 2. preserving/storing the jam. It is very important that you use exact amounts of the ingredients prescribed by the recipe and that you boil things for the proper times.

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. I really thought the canning should be a separate thing. I'm scared of canning, & I don't have cans. (jars)

I'm leaning toward saving this experiment for another time. But I did think it would be awfully memorable to serve w. muffins w/ w. jam & w. lemonade & w. chunks. It's a going away b'fast, but it's just the friend who's going, me, & our *gulp* 9 kids. :lol: I should probably lean more toward kid-friendly & simple. Although...it had *not* occurred to me that I was cooking for 11-13 people (dh's?). I was thinking 2 friends & a coupla kids. :001_huh:

Thank you, though. I *am* going to make w. jam. Soon. Maybe I should get some pectin first, though. And a watermelon.