Menu

TOG binder question

ABQmom

What size binder should I use for my 7th and 9th graders? They will be doing history, lit, writing, map aids, and philosophy (9th). I've never used TOG before, so I feel like I am in a fog when thinking about planning for it. I just can't picture how much space they will need. How do you use binders for TOG and what size have you found to be the best?

My 1st and 5th grader will be using TOG for lit and history, so I really think a 1 inch binder will be plenty for them. What do you think?

I asked this question in another thread before and got one answer, but I really would like to have an idea from a variety of people on how notebooks for TOG could be set up.

I make workbooks, but I have used binders. Are you thinking you will clean the binder out after each unit?

Well, I don't really know. :confused: I guess I was thinking of giving them their questions, maps, etc each week, and they would then put their work into a binder. I could use a smaller binder and clean it out after each unit I guess. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out what would be the best way to organize the kids in-progress and finished work.

We have 3 history binders:

2 -- 8in for the entire cycle

a 4" that keeps all 4 units of the year we're on.

We have to keep our stuff for 2 years (by law), so this is easy. I actually follow the WTM recs for binders and we just fill it in w/ TOG.

Do you mean for the actual curriculum? What do you do with your kids work. That's what I was asking about--I probably wasn't very clear.

I'm going to give a quick recommendation - watch the Out of the Shrinkwrap planning session, available from Lampstand (there's a code on the website to get it free, I'm thinking). It addresses these issues. (AND you can see the cool pictures of Karenciavo's workbooks on the video!)

I keep things organized in workbooks, like Karen. My older two usually end up with what would fit a 1.5" binder. Two units per binder, so they have two binders for each year of TOG.

HTH!

This is my first year using TOG but I am planning on using a 1 in binder for each unit and a 1 in binder for grammar and comp. Then having a larger binder 2 or 3 inch to compile all their completed work in.

So, each child will have a 2 or 3 inch binder to keep their work in? Would you put their assigned work in the one inch binders, and then transfer the work to the larger binder when the work is completed? I hope I'm not confusing everyone!

So, each child will have a 2 or 3 inch binder to keep their work in? Would you put their assigned work in the one inch binders, and then transfer the work to the larger binder when the work is completed? I hope I'm not confusing everyone!

Even though I don't do that, this is the system that Marcia Somerville recommends on the webinar. Each student has a binder (1") to keep about 3 weeks worth of work in. Then, you transfer to a larger binder when you're done with the work.

That was my original plan. I was going to use the smaller notebooks for one unit and then transfer to the larger notebook. BUT now I am looking at the circa system to use to make planners for the boys and I think I am going to take the plunge and buy it. I will use it to make workbooks for the boys and also to make my own planner. Then at the end of the year I will take a sample of their work and make a book for them to keep.

We have 3 history binders:

2 -- 8in for the entire cycle

a 4" that keeps all 4 units of the year we're on.

We have to keep our stuff for 2 years (by law), so this is easy. I actually follow the WTM recs for binders and we just fill it in w/ TOG.

Do you mean for the actual curriculum? What do you do with your kids work. That's what I was asking about--I probably wasn't very clear.

No, I mean for the kids work. I keep my TOG in file folders separated via week.

Basically, as they complete lit. worksheets, questions, and summaries, they simply add them to their notebook. The one thing keep separately is famous people descriptions, which stay in a spiral. They have a tab for the maps section b/c we prefer those to be separate so they can pull them out for reference or study.

I use a 2 inch for each child. I have a section for thier reading chart, one for the SAP, one for lit and one for maps. We haven't been using WA so we keep our writing in another folder with their other school work. I am considering using WA this year and haven't thought of how I would work it but most likely I would have a seperate writing and grammar binder.

No, I mean for the kids work. I keep my TOG in file folders separated via week.

Basically, as they complete lit. worksheets, questions, and summaries, they simply add them to their notebook. The one thing keep separately is famous people descriptions, which stay in a spiral. They have a tab for the maps section b/c we prefer those to be separate so they can pull them out for reference or study.

I'm just trying to wrap my mind around an 8 inch binder. :eek: That sounds huge! I don't even know if I've seen that big of one. Does each one of your children have a 4 inch binder? And then, does each child have two 8 inch binders? Where do you store them?

I'm also trying to determine how some get by with a smaller binder. Quiver say she uses a 2 inch binder, but you use a 4 inch binder. Mmm... I don't even know what question to ask about that....

I'm just trying to wrap my mind around an 8 inch binder. :eek: That sounds huge! I don't even know if I've seen that big of one. Does each one of your children have a 4 inch binder? And then, does each child have two 8 inch binders? Where do you store them?

I'm also trying to determine how some get by with a smaller binder. Quiver say she uses a 2 inch binder, but you use a 4 inch binder. Mmm... I don't even know what question to ask about that....

They are monstrous :) I keep them in my curriculum closet. We just pull everything at the end of each year and stick it in there, just in case we have to have our portfolio review.

I found 2 inch binders to get a little to full, where they are tough to open near the end of the year. You could, however, use a 2inch and just take out the papers when they get crowded. We bought all the 4in ones when they were in K and 1 9now entering 8th adn 9th) b/c they were rec. in TWTM.

Yes, they each have 2 8in. binders in the closet....its a lot to store, but they were freely given and they hold a complete cycle of history, so we keep them .

They are monstrous :) I keep them in my curriculum closet. We just pull everything at the end of each year and stick it in there, just in case we have to have our portfolio review.

I found 2 inch binders to get a little to full, where they are tough to open near the end of the year. You could, however, use a 2inch and just take out the papers when they get crowded. We bought all the 4in ones when they were in K and 1 9now entering 8th adn 9th) b/c they were rec. in TWTM.

Yes, they each have 2 8in. binders in the closet....its a lot to store, but they were freely given and they hold a complete cycle of history, so we keep them .

Thanks Tina. This info has been helpful. I've been in HOT Phoenix for the last several days, so I just now saw your reply.