Menu

For those using MCT, please help with placement

I am considering purchasing this curriculum and need some help. My dd is 15 and would need to begin with Essay Voyages, but I think she would be okay with Magic Lens I (can't tell from the sample what Grammar Voyages is like). Does it matter if I buy different levels? Are the books interwoven so that in ML, the text would be discussing what the student is doing in Academics in Writing? Thanks for any help with this! :)

I asked a similar question on the K-8 board for my 8th grader. I was originally going to go with ML 1 across the board, but they convinced me to start with Essay Voyage and ML 1 for everything else. Apparantly others have done this successfully. The hive also said that we can finish EV in under a year and start in on AAW in the spring. My plan is to buy the complete ML 1 level plus EV.

The teacher's manuals are necessary for the upper levels. The information in them is not the same as the student books. The answers and explanations are in the TMs.

Yes, Essay Voyage can be done with WWW1, ML1, and the rest.

Essay Voyage can be completed in one semester if your student is focused on the writing. Each of the 10 chapters has mini assignments incorporated throughout and has the practice options at the end. That's 10 writing assignments for Essay Voyage alone. Some of those are five paragraph essays. So if you do one chapter a week you could complete EV in ten weeks.

AAW1 has the students writing 4 academic papers in a year. It is designed to have one paper written each quarter with the papers becoming increasingly more difficult as the year progresses. I do not think that trying to squeeze in both Essay Voyage and AAW1 in one year is a great idea.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

See if this link works for the thread I started which has responses from people who did EV with ML 1: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194441

My understanding is that, for parts of the program for which you can get away with just one book, it's actually the teacher's manual you want to get and forgo the student book. I was thinking I'd get the MCT level 4 basic package as opposed to the complete package plus essay voyage. Here's my attempt to link to the homeschool packages page, but if I'm not doing it right and it doesn't show up as a link you can cut and paste.

http://www.rfwp.com/series91.htm

Thanks for the links! That was helpful to read. :)

Another question: Does anyone know how WWWI compares with Vocabulary From Classical Roots? My dd has been doing that series and likes it (cannot say that for most of our curriculum) so I hesitate in trying something else.

Dragon,

Thanks for the details on how EV breaks down. Can you please tell me more about AAW? Does it only have the four longer writing projects, or are there other assignments in between? How long do you spend on each of the four big ones?

The first 58 pages are dedicated to

Chap 1 -Intro to academic writing

Chap 2 - MLA style, including quotes and works cited

Chap 3 - Punctuation, Usage and grammar

Chap 4 - what to expect to do if you want an A

There are 3 punctuation quizzes.

The remainder of the book consists of the assignments:

1st paper- single source interpretation of fiction

2nd paper - Multiple sources

3rd paper - famous individual, 5 sources*

4th paper - abstract, academic concept, 5 sources

*sources must be scholarly books or journals; no encyclopedias, internet sites, or twaddle

AAW assumes that the student knows how to write good sentences, paragraphs and knows the essay format. I had scheduled 9 weeks for each assignment. This allowed for library research time, reading, writing, proofreading and rewriting.

This is why I really don't think scheduling Essay Voyage and all of AAW in the same year should be done. Can you imagine writing 1 1-source paper and 3 multisource academic papers in 16 weeks? That's only 4 weeks each and then throw in all of the other elements (WWW1, 4 prac, poetry, Magic Lens) and other subjects. That's beyond rigor, IMO.

Edited by The Dragon Academy