Menu

Growing Sweet Potatoes

Well. It turns out I'm not a black thumb after all. The sweet potatoes that have been on my counter since the fall have nice, bushy green shoots coming out of them.

For a while, I kept them in this state because I thought they might still be good. Now, I think I can plant them!

Tell me I'm right. They've had only the flourescent kitchen lights, no water, & no soil. Oh, & me. They've got me, for better or worse.

So if I cut the shoots off & go dig up some grass beside my apt bldg, could I have a mini sweet potato garden?

You could plant them, sure,

Or, you could put one in a jar with some water in the bottom and have a forest in your kitchen in no time! Sweet potatoes grow luxuriantly, a very pretty vine that can grow inches in a day...we would get up in the morning and measure how far it had grown overnight! You just have to have somewhere for it to grow.

Ours must have run out of nutrient because after a few weeks of incredible growth, and being the most beautiful green colour, it just started dying for no apparent reason. and that was the end of that.