Menu

Where did/will you do private testing?

We went to the Gifted Development Center in Denver, CO. For my older kids we traveled from metro Phoenix, AZ and then because I walked to get ds6 tested at the same place we traveled from the San Jose, CA area.

You do not have to travel a long way to get testing. We did because there is a lack of testers in Phoenix and as long as we were traveling Denver was the place to go. We would NOT have gone to Denver from San Jose if I hadn't wanted the consistency for the third child. There are places closer now, including one less than two hours from where we are now.

We went to the Gifted Development Center in Denver, CO. For my older kids we traveled from metro Phoenix, AZ and then because I walked to get ds6 tested at the same place we traveled from the San Jose, CA area.

You do not have to travel a long way to get testing. We did because there is a lack of testers in Phoenix and as long as we were traveling Denver was the place to go. We would NOT have gone to Denver from San Jose if I hadn't wanted the consistency for the third child. There are places closer now, including one less than two hours from where we are now.

Since we are near the San Jose area could you send me any info on the places you know of closer to you? DS5 was tested through the school but at some point I believe I will want him retested as I feel they aren't that familiar with gifted kids. We will also want DD4 tested when she is around 6 I think.

We'll be going to GDC as soon as we save up enough money. We've already done a conference call, but it only confirmed our suspicions that the testing options available in this area won't be enough ... at least not for one of the kids. It would probably be alright for the other, but it would be nice to get comprehensive testing for both.

We did travel and went to Minnesota for testing with Deborah Ruf. We are in Michigan and felt, for us, it was worth it. Each family has to make its own decisions. We had already had testing done locally and felt we had exhausted the local options for getting the information we needed at the time. We had one of our sons tested earlier at the GDC and the experience with Deborah Ruf was a better one.

Lynn

Since we are near the San Jose area could you send me any info on the places you know of closer to you? DS5 was tested through the school but at some point I believe I will want him retested as I feel they aren't that familiar with gifted kids. We will also want DD4 tested when she is around 6 I think.

We tested my ds when he was 6 by the GDC, but they come out to Oakland a few times a year to Baywood Learning Center. I am actually not sure if they still come out as Baywood had a reorganization and I am not sure what happened but you could check into it. It still cost a lot though, and I am not sure if we will do the same with my other son.

We tested my ds when he was 6 by the GDC, but they come out to Oakland a few times a year to Baywood Learning Center. I am actually not sure if they still come out as Baywood had a reorganization and I am not sure what happened but you could check into it. It still cost a lot though, and I am not sure if we will do the same with my other son.

Interesting info! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

The short answer is a lot. The longer answer is that it depends on the tests that they give. The best way to find out more information is to call and talk to them. If you ask for more information they will send you the questionnaire to fill out. The questionnaire is a daunting and impressive set of forms. I learned a great deal about my kids just filling out that series of forms!

And after you send the forms back you can do the conference call where recommendations which test to use are made. That is when you get an idea about the tests that are recommended and how much they cost. The conference call does cost money but I don't remember how much.

I hope that helps.