Menu

Chance to watch a foal be born!

I just have to share! There is a pregnant mare at the stable where were we take lessons. The family that owns the mare also manages the stable/instruct. They have created a call list for any of the pony club members who'd like to be notified when the mare goes into labor. Needless to say, we are on that list! The girls are so excited about the prospect of watching her foal! I've cautioned them that it might be in the middle of the night (they don't care!), and that it might happen so fast, the foal will already have been born before we get there. Can anyone think of any other pitfalls I should be ready for?

PS: The girls asked DH if he'd like to join us watching... his response was that after watching both girls born via c-section, he's seen enough!

Bring your camera and take pics if the mare is easy going enough. You can almost bet that it will definitely be the middle of the night. You can tell the girls about the placenta, and warn them the baby will fall down a few times before standing up.

We had a blast of a party one year when our Welsh pony was obliging enough to have her baby at eight in the morning. We had about seven kids over to meet the newbie, including the little girl whose parents had bought this baby in utero. Mama mare is very tolerant of children with her babies, and let them touch her all over.

Have fun, after five years of foaling I'm really missing it this spring.