Menu

Foreign Language (Spanish) for credit in 8th, or wait for hs?

I've been posting on the k-8 board but I thought I'd jump over here for a sec. My oldest ds has done Latin up to LC II and I really want to start a modern language next year for him in 8th grade (maybe I should've started sooner but that's ok). I think we'll do Spanish this year and maybe French later. So here I am trying to decide if I should do a fun, easy, introductory course or a more thorough course that could possibly be counted as hs credit. (Btw, I'm in the beginning stages of understanding the whole credit thing!) I think I'd also like my 5th grader to start some Spanish this year so I'm considering having them work together.

For hs credit I'm thinking SOS Spanish or Visual Link. I couldn't to SOS this yr anyway b/c I don't have a computer that would meet the minimum requirements - maybe next year. For something not quite so "much", I like Getting Started with Spanish but I'm also looking at Spanish for Children and a couple others. I like So You Really Want to Learn Spanish, but I'm not sure where that falls as far as rigor or if it can be used as hs credit.

So I'm wondering what is typical, what would be best, etc, as far as doing an easier introduction for 8th, or something a little more serious. I'm not sure how else to say it. :) Any thoughts from btdt folks very much appreciated!

Thanks! I appreciate your input and I'll keep that in mind. Maybe that would be another possibility to consider for my oldest when he's in 9th - or even this year?

Right now I'm leaning towards Getting Started with Spanish for both my 8th and 5th graders this coming year. I guess I feel like I'm getting a late start with a modern language for my 8th grader and wonder if we should do something more serious/rigorous/thorough because I don't want him to be "behind" (but I'm afraid our schedule could become overwhelming). Anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks! :)

You can always start it in 8th & if he finishes Level 1, give him the hs credit. (It's not unusual to get some hs credit in 8th.) Or you can spread it over 2 yrs & still give him the credit. Your school-your call. :D

Our local middle schools (7/8 grades) are starting Spanish so the kids can get to AP level by end of high school. Otherwise, at least our public school, the kids are not able to take an AP level language class if they wait to 9th grade to start Spanish or French, etc.