Menu

real Science 4 kids?Apologia-

pjssully

Has anyone used this series. I am looking for something for my soon to be 7th grader and 4 th grader. Do you think it's possible to combine these age groups or is the recommmendation to due a separate science for 7 grade year? We have used a portion of Apologia 7 this year but stopped after module 4 since the next few chapters were pure reading-no experiments.

pam

Hi,

I personally have not used the Real Kids. However, I have used the General Science and Zoology (for elementary aged) books. Since you already are familiar with the General Science book, you know what it is like. The Zoology 1 book we are using is quite thorough. I started the school year by reading it to my dd and we were both enjoying it. However, my schedule became tight and many days it was getting difficult for me to continue reading consistently. So, she is now reading it on her own and really enjoying it (she is in 4th grade but higher reading level). Because of the depth of information covered, it may be possible to combine this for a 4th & 7th grader. You may wish to supplement a bit for the 7th grader.:) I was amazed at how much I personally learned from this. The pictures are beautiful and many days, I would finish reading and sayd "I didn't know that"

Hope this helps,

Pam

will be good for the 4th grader but not enough "meat" for the 7th grader. I'm using this right now for my 5th grade and below children.

I've been checking out Rainbow Science for next year when my oldest hits middle school.

http://www.beginningspublishing.com/products.html

As for combining, I'm not sure yet myself what to do with my younger ones if I do decide to go with Rainbow Science for my older ones. I might have to do a separate science just because I'm not a planner and it takes me too long to try to plan my own thing to combine the younger with the older. I'll just use whatever previous science books my older ones used.

HTH!

Anna

I am looking for something for my soon to be 7th grader and 4 th grader. Do you think it's possible to combine these age groups

I just finished recommending Sonlight's Science 5 to someone with 5th and 8th grade girls. According to the age chart in my SL catty, your dc fit right in there (ages 9-12) and it is something they could do together. I have not used it yet, will be this next year with my 6th grader, but I have heard it is very good.

I think that you can combine the students in RS4K if you use Level 1 for the 4th grader and Level 2 for the 7th grader. I haven't seen level 2, so I'm basing it on what I've heard. I think that the chapter topics are the same, but that you get more in-depth with the higher level. Also, I think only Level 2 chemistry is out right now.